Splayed leg chick

sellersV

Chirping
Mar 21, 2017
Georgia
Hi need some help! We just got our chicks 2 days ago and one of them is splay legged we tried to do the hobble but Not sure we did it right. We seperated it from the others , should we put another one in with it ? Can anyone give better instructions on how to make the hobble ? We keep checking on it and when it tries to walk falls over and ends up on its back. Have raised chicks before but not had this ever happen.

Hi need some help! We just got our chicks 2 days ago and one of them is splay legged we tried to do the hobble but Not sure we did it right. We seperated it from the others , should we put another one in with it ? Can anyone give better instructions on how to make the hobble ? We keep checking on it and when it tries to walk falls over and ends up on its back. Have raised chicks before but not had this ever happen.
Hello anyone have any advice?! !

Build it something narrow that forces it to stand up, like a tiny cardboard hallway. Along with the brace.

Build it something narrow that forces it to stand up, like a tiny cardboard hallway. Along with the brace.
Ok willing to try anything it is standing up , it doesnt seem to be improving . It just stands in one place . We have a flexible bandage on it like a Ace bandage , I read something about a cup method any idea what that is ?

We used blue painter's tape. Just any tape that sticks to itself but isnt too hard to get off the bird later. We just wrapped around one leg, through the middle to the other leg, holding them the correct distance apart, and then wrapped around the tape in the middle to reinforce it and make it not sticky. itll stay together the best if you use one length of tape but you dont have to

I wish I had a picture of the actual brace

Attachments

• received_724954498317140.jpeg
    received_724954498317140.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 5
  • received_856136698242095.jpeg
    received_856136698242095.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 5
It wasn't very long. A day or two. Just until they can stand normally on their own. But I assume it takes longer the older they get.

Back
Top Bottom