Splayed Leg In 6 Week Freedom Roo????

noahsark

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 8, 2010
Klamath Falls, Oregon
I have had my 26 roos out in the coop for 2 weeks now..They are locked up at night and the gate is open during the days for those who want to go out and range..I just noticed today that one of the roos is sitting in his food bowl, and his legs are out to the side..he doesnt seem able to stand up on them..I feel terrible I didnt notice earleir as the water bowl is on the other end of the coop..I am wondering if this is common, is it splayed leg, or that cornich cross thing??.Will isolating him do any good? Will he recover?He seems to be the only one with this problem.They have all been raised on 22% gamebird crumble, and mixed whole grains, compost, and bugs..I sure hope this isnt going to happen to the rest ...at 6 weeks, I still have what, 6 weeks to go?
Any tips, advice, on the problem and what I can do for him asIid like to give him a chance..Do you think hes suffereing?
Picture below..
65070_6_weeks_003.jpg

If you just noticed it, I'd give it a couple of days. Sometimes they just sit awkwardly like that. I wouldn't worry about problems with your other birds, it's not common. If it is a problem, the bird could be sick too, as a sick bird is sometimes tough to differentiate from one with leg problems, so it wouldn't hurt to isolate if it doesn't solve itself after a day or so.

I have seen something simular and after some research (the bird died after much attention and attempts to save it)... There is a diesease that causes them to lose body weight, control of limbs, and can even cause them brain damage. It's caused by fungul spores and it is usually fatal in younger birds. I'll try to google the name... it was hard to pronounce so I can barely remember.

Aspergillosis - Loss of muscle... loss of appitite... trouble moving and breathing... nervous system issues

Like I mentioned above, it's usually fatal in younger birds.

There is a article in the current "Poultry Magazine" by Dr. Brown (http://www.firststatevetsupply.com) and has pictures of disected infected birds. May or may not be what you are dealing with, but I STRONGLY suggest writting Dr. Brown a email and getting his professional help because no matter what it is, if the bird can't get to food and water regularly... it won't last too long.

I have not ever seen one person on BYC claim to be a vet... I don't mean to sound hateful about it, but I would seriously suggest you contact someone who is.
wink.png

Good luck! Let us know!

the problem is there are not a lot of avian vets in the NW.
I would post this on the disease thread because (and I AM NOT saying it is) if my bird was doing the hurtlers stretch I would immidiately think Mareks.
See if you can get Glenda Haymeyer (check the spelling) or threehorses to give you their opinions. as someone stated before they are not vets, but I have found their opinions/advice/and experience to be very sound.
Good luck and let us know.

this has also happened to some of mine... but considering i do a couple hundred at a time, when i see this i just cull and discard, assuming marek's.. (i have never vaccinated a bird..)

..will be interested to hear more about this..
pop.gif

(avian vets ARE hard to come by.. plus it is hard to justify the cost when the bird was never going to stick around in the first place...)

Last edited:
I don't have many near me... maybe a hour drive away but they are all reluctant to "do" chickens... they prefer caged birds.

That said, I want all chicken people to know.... Dr. Brown at firststatevetsupply.com IS a vet... he will do consultations over the internet or phone or both. It's better than guessing if you can't get them into a vet in the flesh. I don't get any $$ for saying these things... I say it because I don't want anyone's birds suffering. I just want to make that clear... anywhere in the US.. you at least have a vet to call or email about your flock. Very nice guy. Just imagine how much he cares to open up his life to all the calls and emails....

Yes, it could be Mereks... both Aspergillosus and Mereks work with tumors.

Good luck again!

Quote:
I double checked... there is no DVM after his name. He just gets called the chicken doctor. Hmmmm.....

I stand corrected... still, I wouldn't rule emailing him out.

Thanks all for your replys..It doesnt seem to be a disease or sick to me.He eats fine, drinks, breathing normal, his legs just grew out to he side, LOL.. I isolated him in the coop ..I will let you all know how hes doing

Back
Top Bottom