Splayed leg..need help!

rachelm10

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Hi! I am new here and new to chickens.
smile.png

I have a chick (from a kindergarten class) that I brought home with a splayed leg. I hobbled it and it got better within days (It was REALLY bad and sick)...anyway, after I patted myself on the back....it happened again. Now he/she is over two weeks old and his leg is actually turning backwards! I have NO idea what to do. Do I just let it be? I tried to hobble it again, but it doesn't seem to be working well at all. The leg is collapsing at the joint.
He is still eating/drinking and pooping fine.
Thanks sooo much in advance!
Rachel

OK. Can you walk me through it? I don't know what I am doing. Thanks for the quick reply!

spotted crow is an amazing rescource here on BYC - she will have great info for ya!

just in case you can't get the leg back in place . . .
if you can afford it a trip to the vet might be helpful (if you have a chicken-friendly vet in your area).

and/or

i have a chicken whose legs didn't not grow in "normally" but he does okay. he eats and drinks and is even able to compete for "treats" with the other chickens - he just moves in a different way.

if, at the end of all your attempts to help, your chicken is fine except for the fact that his legs are different (i.e. he can eat, drink, move, do his basic chicken "stuff" and is not in pain or discomfort) then he might make a fine pet.

i hope everything works out great for you and your special chick. good luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom