Split wing

BuckeyeFoodie

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
So, an odd question about split wing, specifically in Silkies: Is it possible for a bird to look split-winged during the process of feathering out, but it isn't? Is it also possible for a bird to be split-winged on only one side, but perfect on the other?

I have a 7 month-old pullet that is feathering out spectacularly, except that I thought she might be split-winged? But in the past two weeks one wing has corrected itself to being perfect, but the other still has a small space like the good wing had before correcting. On the bad wing if you spread the feathers over to match, everything looks perfect like the good wing.

I'm in a bit of a panic because this is the only bird I have entered in Ohio National in 10 days, and obviously I don't want to take a bird that looks to have a DQ fault (even if it really doesn't). Do I need to quit panicking and just give it more time, or do I need to start thinking about culling her from my breeding program?

I can try an get pictures tomorrow if anyone needs them to make judgement

So I don't have an answer about split wing specifically in silkies, but I raise Ko Shamos, which all should have split wing. I can tell you that, at least in them, it is possible to have one split wing and one non-split wing.

Can you post a picture of the suspected split wing? If she's just feathering out perhaps that primary is taking longer to come in.

So I don't have an answer about split wing specifically in silkies, but I raise Ko Shamos, which all should have split wing. I can tell you that, at least in them, it is possible to have one split wing and one non-split wing.

Can you post a picture of the suspected split wing? If she's just feathering out perhaps that primary is taking longer to come in.
Sorry for the late reply, I never got the comment notification!

So it turns out she's not split-winged, was just at an awkward feathering stage combined with her secondary feathers bunching together a bit.

I did take her to Ohio National, and while she didn't place she had a ✔️+ on her card! She's pretty dark for a blue, so I'll be crossing her with only Splash boys hoping for any blue babies to be a lighter shade.

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom