Splurged on coop kit! Lancaster standard [PICs!]

Quote:
ChanceRider, your's will be awesome cause you're going to take your time and make it your's!
smile.png

You won't get snow in Somerset, except for this year
tongue.png

Post pic when you're done!

I just wish I had more design talent and/or imagination! I've been reading, researching, and downright trying to copy some plans to fit what I want
wink.png

We did have about 12 - 14" of snow this past December, but it's not unusual for us to get snow. We're right about at the elevation that goes from a minor annoyance to a real pain. Our biggest problem is that our paved 1/4 mile long driveway is very steep. Even with chains on our 4 wheel drive trucks it can be a challenge to get off our own property.

What part of the county are you located in?

Quote:
I have ordered 6 chickens (listed below) and I don't plan to expand. The coop is rated for 4-6 chickens. It is 4 x 4 plust the nest box.

Does that sound ok? They will be able to free range too.

Yeah you have nothing to worry About
smile.png

That looks like a very nice coop. Do not apologize for not designing your own coop. Your coop is done! You should be just fine with the number of chickens you're planning to get. I was so nervous about the size of my coop for the winter and all the dire warnings about ventilation, etc. and my chickens have done just fine with no issues and common-sense management. Have fun- you're going to love having chickens!

Quote:
It has a large screened window on the back. So there is cross ventillation from the window in the front to the vent in the back. I like the idea of a roof vent, or a gable vent, thank you for sugesting that!

Yes the run will be high enough for me to walk in, I like that idea too. Got lots of ideas for a run on the forum!

The reason I brought up ventilation is that permanent year-round ventilation needs to be at the top for exhausting heat, fumes, humidity, and for keeping roost and floor levels draft-free in cold weather. Odds are that comfy contented chooks are bound to be more productive .
wink.png

The reason I brought up ventilation is that permanent year-round ventilation needs to be at the top for exhausting heat, fumes, humidity, and for keeping roost and floor levels draft-free in cold weather. Odds are that comfy contented chooks are bound to be more productive .
wink.png

Thanks gsim! We went right out and strated planing some gable vents after reading your post. I'm glad you brough it to our attention.
frow.gif

Quote:
We are in Camino @3400 ft. elv. We got 2 feet in the December storm, but we didn't loose our power!

Wow, it's great that you didn't lose power! We were out for 5 days but it really wasn't bad. I melted snow on the stove and hauled warm water to the critters. I do like heading to Camino in the summer when it's hot "down" here, plus I love Apple Hill and Boa Vista.

When will you be getting your chicks? Are you getting them locally? They'll sure have a nice secure coop... I'm sure they'll be happy hens
smile.png

ChanceRider

When will you be getting your chicks? Are you getting them locally?

I ordered mine from MyPetChicken.com so I can get 6 breeds all the same age. They won't come until the week of April 12th
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom