Spoiled chickens....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Firefyter-Emt, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt Chillin' With My Peeps

Geesh, ya give them a light for the winter and when you take it away, you would think they forgot how to use a hen house! I am getting a bit sick of manually putting the chickens INSIDE the coop! [​IMG]

It is funny to see them put up such a fight when picked up, wings flapping and all, yet I pluck one after another off a log perch and not one will get up and move! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens are not real bright, but they respond to a little training with food, like treats or leftovers, whatever I have. I spoke to them the same way every day when I brought treats, even just a little scratch, and now they will come when I speak. They even run to me if they just see me across the yard, hoping I have a goody in hand. No hassle to get them into the coop at night.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Your chickens may like being handled, too (mine do). Mine are trained to come in at dusk for food, but occasionally Golda or Ruby will sneak out while I'm feeding the others- both love the attention they get from being noticed and carried. My error! But hey, if I have to get a certain hen, I always can! [​IMG]

4. Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, they are getting back into the swing of things. The funny part is they spent the summer and all of the fall without a light last year and had no problems going in by themselves. Just take that light out and they forget how to go in for a week or two.

If they get that stubborn, they will roost in the run all night dangit! I built the run to withstand all manner of attacks so they will be safe out there if they saw fit. [​IMG]

Getting warm out, I guess I am going to have to change out the shavings, rake the run and get it all pretty again, Eh?

I still have to add the cedar clapboards around the top of the entry door and paint the white wood work. It's still in white wood stain right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by