1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spool Table/Bookshelf

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Stacykins, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I acquired a perfect wooden spool recently. Too perfect for a goat toy. I have a few others for the goats, so they will not be without!

Anyway, this will become a tableshelf. Because my room is carpeted, I won't add castors. But I am having a hard time deciding whether to stain it, it paint it. I like the look of natural wood, and also the look of distressed, antique wood. So I am torn between using stain, or milk paint.

There are some logos stamped on the spool. If I stain, I will need to sand them away, since I do not like how they look. But I could just paint right over it with milk paint. I will need to sand the rough edges anyway, though.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Here is a picture if it. Sturdy and glorious! It is pretty much brand new.

[​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    [​IMG]Get some ceramic tile and make a beauty. You can get close outs, excess tiles from jobs people did. Craigs lists of free stuff. I could go on and on. Maybe you can find marble or granite tiles as well. Small amounts can be had for little cash. Then you will have ONLY ONE LIKE IT THIS SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI. lol

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  3. alldembirds

alldembirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    you can make a mushroom shaped ottoman take the bottom spool ring off, put some cushion on the top of it than upholster the entire thing, we have a big fuzzy orange one.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    What size is it?
    It is a really nice looking spool.

edited to add: Boy, that sounded like a pretty lame pick up line. Nice Looking spool you got there, ... wink, wink

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by