Spot or bump on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ediebaggett, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ediebaggett

ediebaggett Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    I have a three year old lavender orphington and I noticed a small bump on her comb. I took a small cotton ball with some poultry aid and cleaned it. Should the scab come off and it be cleaned? Any idea what it could be or how I should treat this? She's eating and drinking fine and my other two hens (buckyeye and auracanuna are normal) all combs are bright red and everyone seems to be ok.

Please let me know if you have any additional info!

Thanks!
    Edie

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are you referring to the bump on her earlobe? Looks like possibly fowl pox, do you have mosquitoes out already?

3. ediebaggett

Aug 4, 2014
    Yes, we're in Florida but haven't experienced this before since I've had them! Any suggestions?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'd keep watch on it. It could be from insect/mosquitoes like @oldhenlikesdogs like dogs mentions.

Will the "scab" come out if pressed? I'd almost see if you could get it out - apply a small amount of Peroxide to the "bite", then press to see if it pops out. If so, flush with some saline then apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn.

It's possible it could be Fowl Pox, but I don't see any other lesions at this time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nfection-in-a-silkie-hen-graphic-pics.831156/

5. ediebaggett

Aug 4, 2014
    Ok, thank you! I'll post the progress!!!!

6. ediebaggett

Aug 4, 2014
    After about a week the bump is larger but not full of liquid almost a hard knot. She's been eating and drinking normally but today she's seemed a little not herself. She's been getting lots of extra probiotics and vitamins in what's she's consuming.

I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow as home treatments cleaning daily with betadine and Neosporin aren't helping the sore heal.

Attached Files:

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear you will be seeing a vet, keep us posted.

8. ediebaggett

Aug 4, 2014
    This was tonight, still eating and drinking and has a bright red wattle and comb! I'm at a loss, but I'll keep everyone's posted. I appreciate your support!

Attached Files:

9. ediebaggett

Aug 4, 2014
    After a trip to the vet and minor chicken surgery, the labs came back today and it's squamous cell carcinoma I'll I can really do is pray the vet got great margins and keep little miss Lila comfy and happy.

Attached Files:

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :hugs

I do hope that she was able to get all of it. Thank you for the update and photos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by