Spot or bump on comb

ediebaggett

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
I have a three year old lavender orphington and I noticed a small bump on her comb. I took a small cotton ball with some poultry aid and cleaned it. Should the scab come off and it be cleaned? Any idea what it could be or how I should treat this? She's eating and drinking fine and my other two hens (buckyeye and auracanuna are normal) all combs are bright red and everyone seems to be ok.

Please let me know if you have any additional info!

Thanks!
Edie

Attachments

• IMG_2048.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 16
Are you referring to the bump on her earlobe? Looks like possibly fowl pox, do you have mosquitoes out already?

I'd keep watch on it. It could be from insect/mosquitoes like @oldhenlikesdogs like dogs mentions.

Will the "scab" come out if pressed? I'd almost see if you could get it out - apply a small amount of Peroxide to the "bite", then press to see if it pops out. If so, flush with some saline then apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn.

It's possible it could be Fowl Pox, but I don't see any other lesions at this time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nfection-in-a-silkie-hen-graphic-pics.831156/

I'd keep watch on it. It could be from insect/mosquitoes like @oldhenlikesdogs like dogs mentions.

Will the "scab" come out if pressed? I'd almost see if you could get it out - apply a small amount of Peroxide to the "bite", then press to see if it pops out. If so, flush with some saline then apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn.

It's possible it could be Fowl Pox, but I don't see any other lesions at this time.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nfection-in-a-silkie-hen-graphic-pics.831156/

Ok, thank you! I'll post the progress!!!!

After about a week the bump is larger but not full of liquid almost a hard knot. She's been eating and drinking normally but today she's seemed a little not herself. She's been getting lots of extra probiotics and vitamins in what's she's consuming.

I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow as home treatments cleaning daily with betadine and Neosporin aren't helping the sore heal.

Attachments

• IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 9
After about a week the bump is larger but not full of liquid almost a hard knot. She's been eating and drinking normally but today she's seemed a little not herself. She's been getting lots of extra probiotics and vitamins in what's she's consuming.

I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow as home treatments cleaning daily with betadine and Neosporin aren't helping the sore heal.

I'm glad to hear you will be seeing a vet, keep us posted.

This was tonight, still eating and drinking and has a bright red wattle and comb! I'm at a loss, but I'll keep everyone's posted. I appreciate your support!

Attachments

• IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2190.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 7
After a trip to the vet and minor chicken surgery, the labs came back today and it's squamous cell carcinoma I'll I can really do is pray the vet got great margins and keep little miss Lila comfy and happy.

Attachments

• IMG_2206.PNG
    IMG_2206.PNG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2198.JPG
    IMG_2198.JPG
    444.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom