Spotted a bobcat

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Hello all,

I spotted a bobcat this morning when I heard my birds alert to something. I thought maybe it was another squirrel that startlesld them(yes its happened😂). But I noticed a bunch of them looking to the north and when I looked over, about 25 yards away was a bobcat sneaking out of some tall grass into the stand of trees eastward. They're currently safe and secure in the original 10x10 run I built for my original 8 birds(now up to 20) which is connected to their coop. Luckily they're all safe, calm and not at each other's throats.

I'm debating weather to open up what I call the extension or annex(long story to why I call it that sometimes). As I haven't seen or heard the bobcat since about 6:30 am which was approximately when I spotted the cat. My concern is, the cat can easily jump over my extension/annex. It's electric poultry netting with a 2 foot chicken wire hanged over it with u-posts to create what I call a, "jump barrier" for foxes.

I'm not sure if the bobcat in the past touched the fence or not and is just hanging back, studying and plotting how to get to them. With as intelligent as bobcats are I'd be hard pressed to think that the cat has left the area entirely.

The netting fence has plenty of juice to deter a bobcat. My basic tester tops out at 5k and always lights up that bulb. I've taken a full zap from it and it was enough to keep me from wanting to touch it again😂.

What's everyone's thought into letting them into the extension again or should I just wash away the idea and set out some elimination tactics to catch it before they're let into that area again.

In my experiences with bobcats, they typically move on rather quickly if they don't have a food source. It's probably gone but I wouldn't test it. Just leave them up in the small secure portion. Reevaluate in the morning.
That's what I was thinking leave them locked in for the day. I was actually thinking of leaving them out of that space for the fall and start seeding it so it can grow in before snow and frosts set in so come time spring dries up they'll have a bountiful patch of grass.

I've had 2 bobcats this year. One, a VERY large, medium/large dog-size impressive cat at about 1600, late afternoon. He was not afraid of both of us coming outside 500 yrds away, slamming the screen door and yelling. The shot of the gun to scare it off did work though! The 2nd was the size of a large house cat about 2300, late at night and was just snooping. Our chicken cameras alerted us and the solar motion light came on (the lights are slow to react usually so he was looking), then it took off.
Do like we have cameras to alert of what we'd otherwise miss. Also, with all the action and no food, haven't seen either cat for the rest of the summer. I subscribe to the 'no pay off-then go find elsewhere.

I've had 2 bobcats this year. One, a VERY large, medium/large dog-size impressive cat at about 1600, late afternoon. He was not afraid of both of us coming outside 500 yrds away, slamming the screen door and yelling. The shot of the gun to scare it off did work though! The 2nd was the size of a large house cat about 2300, late at night and was just snooping. Our chicken cameras alerted us and the solar motion light came on (the lights are slow to react usually so he was looking), then it took off.
Do like we have cameras to alert of what we'd otherwise miss. Also, with all the action and no food, haven't seen either cat for the rest of the summer. I subscribe to the 'no pay off-then go find elsewhere.
I think the fact that my presence was known after the birds alerted was enough to make him somewhat second guess weather he should or not. I'm prepared and on the lookout and have plans of setting up more deterrent out here very soon.

Better safe than sorry! I have an extended run like you do and I've also had bobcat activity lately. You'll probably feel more at ease knowing they are in the regular run for now. Best of luck!
After several hours of inactivity I opened the extension at say 3pm. Plenty of time for farmers in the area to hopefully push it farther away. I've been going out periodically to do a head count and make my presence known. Other deterrent has been placed put as well. But more deterrent will be placed here in the coming days.

After several hours of inactivity I opened the extension at say 3pm. Plenty of time for farmers in the area to hopefully push it farther away. I've been going out periodically to do a head count and make my presence known. Other deterrent has been placed put as well. But more deterrent will be placed here in the coming days.
I've been letting mine in their extended run when I am home too. I also can leave my windows open with the warm weather still so I can hear if anything is going on. Glad it's going smoothly for you!

I have also seen a bobcat around here they mostly roam at night and that is when I have seen it on a camera. Several years ago prior to having electric wires around the coop and pen, a bobcat dug under the fence and killed 14 birds. It made the mistake of coming back a couple of nights later and trying for more. I did eliminate. It shouldn't have come back...

I have also seen a bobcat around here they mostly roam at night and that is when I have seen it on a camera. Several years ago prior to having electric wires around the coop and pen, a bobcat dug under the fence and killed 14 birds. It made the mistake of coming back a couple of nights later and trying for more. I did eliminate. It shouldn't have come back...
Sorry ! I can't imagine how hard it was to lose so many in one night.I'm glad you was able to eliminate it before it killed more.😢

Back
Top Bottom