1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spraddle Leg or Broken Leg? (Pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuntrygirl, May 18, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have not been home yet to see this little chick but a friend of mine who stopped by to check on my broody hens contacted me to tell me that they found this newly hatched baby chick and it's leg looked like this. I hope it's leg is not broken. I will be able to see it when I get home in a few hours. What does it look like to you?

[​IMG]

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    To me it maybe looks like a slipped tendon/some sort of nerve damage. I've had a chicke with a broken leg, and it looked different, the area around the break got red and larger, and it healed up by itself.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Ms.Frizzle :

To me it maybe looks like a slipped tendon/some sort of nerve damage. I've had a chicke with a broken leg, and it looked different, the area around the break got red and larger, and it healed up by itself.

So you didn't have to splint it or do anything to it? How long did it take to heal? Was the chick still able to walk around, eat, drink, etc?​

4. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    The one time it happened to a chick of mine, a crazy hen had made a nest unknown to me, and decided to walk her brood through the barn. While I was trying to catch them, I bumped him over, and his leg snapped on the featherless part. I was young, and I left it, and it fixed itself. It grew up just fine, no limp, just a bump where the break had been. My understanding is that slipped tendons don't fix themselves, I'd look around more about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by