Spraddle Leg or Broken Leg? (Pic)

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
I have not been home yet to see this little chick but a friend of mine who stopped by to check on my broody hens contacted me to tell me that they found this newly hatched baby chick and it's leg looked like this. I hope it's leg is not broken. I will be able to see it when I get home in a few hours. What does it look like to you?

6612_new_chick.jpg

To me it maybe looks like a slipped tendon/some sort of nerve damage. I've had a chicke with a broken leg, and it looked different, the area around the break got red and larger, and it healed up by itself.

Ms.Frizzle :

To me it maybe looks like a slipped tendon/some sort of nerve damage. I've had a chicke with a broken leg, and it looked different, the area around the break got red and larger, and it healed up by itself.

So you didn't have to splint it or do anything to it? How long did it take to heal? Was the chick still able to walk around, eat, drink, etc?​

The one time it happened to a chick of mine, a crazy hen had made a nest unknown to me, and decided to walk her brood through the barn. While I was trying to catch them, I bumped him over, and his leg snapped on the featherless part. I was young, and I left it, and it fixed itself. It grew up just fine, no limp, just a bump where the break had been. My understanding is that slipped tendons don't fix themselves, I'd look around more about that.

Back
Top Bottom