Spraying Feral Cats! Ewwwww

NaturalWonder

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
I'm having a problem with the neighborhood feral cat band- Just the other day I found one in my run (thankfully it didnt get anything!). I've fixed up the run so it seems pretty kitty proof, NOW my problem is that they are spraying the run area! (And my front porch.) I live in town so shooting them (the only advice I've gotten so far) is out, same goes for BBs or Pellets! And I dont want to use mothballs because I have other (stoopid) animals, and a young child.

Soooo...now that I've ruined the options, any advice? The cats havent gotten my chickens, but the are definately stressing them out!

Your local animal control should have live traps available to use to catch these nasty spraying cats. There isn't too much worse than a tom spraying. My neighbor had one get in his jeep while he was gone for a week and by the rank and overpowering smell, I think it must've made a daily visit to spray inside it.

I concur. Trap them, then drive them outside of town and shoot them there. Why don't towns and cities require cats to be registered like they do dogs. Look in any shelter, you'll see dozens of cats, and very few dogs, yet who ends up paying for it all, the dog owners, not the cat owners.....
hmm.png

I vote for a live trap in your case. Usually Animal Control will bring one out and pick it up when its 'full'. As far as the spraying (ewwwww) try spraying white vinegar on the cat spray area. It neutralizes the stink.

I would attempt the most humane method, contact Animal Control to set live traps and they will euthanize them. I understand your dilemma but it's the poor homeless cats that pay for the irresponsibility of pet owners who fail to spay and neuter and keep their pets inside.

No animal is harder on the ecosystem than the feral cat, or ditch tigers as we called them back home. It was considered a good deed to take out one or two every time we went hunting. They can decimate a pheasant or quail population, not to mention spread diseases to domestic animals.
I understand that it is not their fault, but I feel it is my obligation to do whatever I can to eradicate them from my area.

Thanks to every one for all the advice!

Unfortunately I live in a very small town (MrChicken207, I'm in Houlton! Hi!) Animal control would give me live traps and then kill the cats, the shelter is overrun and cant take anymore, and I already foster for the other animal welfare group in town! So thats not really and option for me, I cant stand the idea of something to happen to the cats who havent done any thing wrong, just their nature.

I guess I'm just going to have to clean the areas CONSTANTLY! Lol

Please understand that feral cats don't need rescuing they are causing serious damage to our ecosystem. You are correct that it is not their fault but it is our duty to fix it. If you let this go they will continue to deface your property and kill all the native wildlife. Think about all the innocent lizards, song birds, gamebirds and much more that each cat kills every day....Who will rescue them?

One other thought.....Check into a spay/neuter program. I know I've seen a fundraising effort in the past that raised money to sterilize ferel cats and then release them so they could finish their lives without reproducing. See if there is anything like that around where you live. If not, you can always create the program yourself! Sounds like it would be a great project for your community; or any community...

Back
Top Bottom