Spring 2011 RAISE-A-LONG!

Quote:
It was actually suprisingly easy! I just put a towel on the toilet and got one at a time out. They hatched a week ago today and these pics are a couple of days old. I took them with my iPhone. The babies were pretty cooperative
smile.png

SIGHHHHHHHHH so I was sitting at home yesterday when the phone rang it was my friend at noahs ark feed and he told me that his australorps werent gonna be coming in for a while BUT his friend over at apple valley feed got a large shipment in and said i should go have a look so i thought its prolly only RIR's or something but then i thought well what if they got some other cuties well curiosity got the better of me so there i go on a 40 minute drive all the way out there and sure enought they have DELEWARE @ black sexlinks and i left with 8.......that coop is never going to get done lmao

They're here!!
big_smile.png

3 Easter eggers
2 Barred Rock
1 Black Sex Link
1 Rhode Island Red
1 Black Australorp
1 Partridge Plymouth Rock

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3982.JPG

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3977.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

These are from Ideal. I was worried about the long shipping distance, but they arrived less than 48 hours after they shipped, all alert and hungry and perfect.

So fun! They've been eating mash for about 1.5 hours, and are just now showing signs of wanting to sleep.

I've named three so far: Beatrice, Lucille, and Henrietta.

EE chicks remind me of chipmunks:D

One of our chicks has gotten REALLY LOUD. Last night I was reading bedtime stories and had my hubb check on the chicks because I thought one was hurt. . .he brought the loud guy to me-it quieted down and made little noises. Not 5 minutes after he was back with the others, he started up again-I've decided this two-week old is a rooster that really wants to be held!

my little banty hen looks like a chimpumk too and is finally starting to figure things out she's becoming more social and not just hanging out under the heat and I'm thinking my 2 week old Blue Andaulsian(sp) Ray Ray(he's my special needs chick) may be a roo because "he" really hasn't starting getting feather but like the other 2 are but is some taller than they are he looks like a lanky teenager and my 3 week old sex link girls are really starting to get the "uglies" especially Twinkie she's blonde and the feathers on her neck are the most pronounced and she's just looks very odd and Tink who started getting her feathers a week or so ago reminds me of a little sparrow hawk

The chicks I'm getting hatched overnight, so I'm going to go pick them up later today. I am so excited! My husband just shakes his head at me. I hope I don't do anything wrong for them. One thing, my thermometer is missing, eep. Can anyone give me an idea (ball park) how high a 150W red bulb should be above the brooder for day olds to get the right temperature? I know how to watch the chicks to make sure the temperature is okay, but I don't want to freeze or burn them right away. I also know 150W is a bit high for inside the house. Originally they were going to go in our rabbit hutch and a 100W bulb was barely moving the temperature inside, so we got the bigger one. But our older chicks are still in the hutch for another week or two so the babies will be in a low-sided cardboard box set inside a taller wire cage (so no risk of the heat lamp setting the box on fire) until then.

I am all done with my hatch I got 11 chicks. They will be a week old tomorrow. and some a few days after that. I went to a member of my Dallas fort worth chicken groups home today and came home with a black silky. She did not charge me for it either. I have him or her in with my others now they are all doing fine and never bothered the silkie. He or she was born the same day as mine were.

I need to figure out how to post pics to the site I have not done it yet. And get some pics of them. They are so much fun to watch.

I ended up with
2 barred rock x welsummer sp
4 Easter Eggers
5 welsummerx rhode island reds.. they are really pretty

and the 1 silkie was added.

they are in a rabbit cage right beside me in the office so i talk to them a lot it funny to watch them run up to me from the other side to see what I am doing.

Just picked ours up at the local TSC, 4 Red Pullets, and 2 Bantams. First try at raising chick since we just bought a house with 1.5 acres. Only have a name for the one Bantam right now, but I'm sure my son will com up with names for the rest of them all in good time. Now to get started on the coop as soon as the snow is gone...what to ...what to do!! I've seen so many different designs not sure what I'm going to go with yet, but I know I have to get busy here quick!!
This one we named Red
83850_dsc01354.jpg

My 2 Bantams together
83850_dsc01353.jpg

All 6 in the brooder
83850_dsc01356.jpg

Quote:
Congrats!! We have babies that are the same age
wink.png

To post pics, go to "uploads" at the top, "choose" the pictures you want from your PC, check off the box to "resize" and choose the "message board" one. THEN.. upload! It will give you a code to copy and paste into your message.

Easy Peasy!

Quote:
Congrats!! We have babies that are the same age
wink.png

To post pics, go to "uploads" at the top, "choose" the pictures you want from your PC, check off the box to "resize" and choose the "message board" one. THEN.. upload! It will give you a code to copy and paste into your message.

Easy Peasy!

Okay thanks I need to get some pics of them and then I will post. might and try it later on.

Back
Top Bottom