Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
Quote:
Gary, thats a house not a coop! It looks fantastic. What are your plans for ventilation? Do you have any beside the sun roof? Is it hot where you live? Looks awesome and hope all goes well with the permitting. Edit: Nevermind, I just re-read and see where you are adding vents DOH!

Last edited:
We need to finish adding in our sand. But have enough to start our 2 babies off tomorrow. You can clearly see that no chicks have actually lived in here yet!

automatic feeders

2nd MHP... will have our 10 babies using the main coop as brooder since we don't have any grown hens.

built in brooder. You can see under the brooder doors a piece of PVC pipe... that is our automatic waterers. I will have to get a better pic of those.

Ha! our doxie, Jasmine!
Wow how big is that coop?
thumbsup.gif
its awesome! A couple questions..what did you have up inside for walls? It looks nice and clean and washable? Did you get your blue/red wyandotte's yet I would love to see some pics of your chicks. Love that your coop is walk in. Also very inventive nest boxes and feeding stations and brooder too. I guess I love all of it
love.gif

I wanted to update folks on my vigil to keep the little wry neck / stargazing chick alive.

First, I'll just say it. She passed away about 5 minutes ago. I was holding her and she was quite calm. Very peaceful. She simply stopped.

This morning she was standing upright so I was excited, but by around 0900 she was back to the backbend and not being able to eat or drink. I kept up with going to the brooder and giving her water with Sav A Chick every 20 mins or so. I was finally able to go to TSC and pick up Nutri Drench around noon, but it was too late. She was very weak by this point, but I still gave her a drop (that was harder than I anticipated!) and continued with water and a soupy mix of water and crumble. I also tried tiny bits of egg. I had to step out for a few hours and left her with a stuffed animal, which she curled up under. She slept with it last night too. Another member on one of the other threads recommended giving her a stuff animal for comfort and to cuddle under.

I was totally prepared to open my box from McMurray and have a few dead chicks ... it was much harder watching one slowly go over 24 hours!

In the future, I will make sure to have something like Nutri Drench on hand when I have chicks.

My other 26 chicks are all still running around like little champions! Had to clean a few pasty butts, but I am going to start putting some apple cider vinegar in their water. That poo can really get caked on!
Don't beat yourself up. You did everything you could. Its just part of raising chicks I guess. But I understand completely. I forget how are you warming your chicks, heat lamp or Mamma Heating Pad?

Barnevelder:

She was a little under the weather in these pics, but she's doing a bit better now. But I wanted to get these up for you @Merrymouse

Not the best pics, sorry. I'll pull out my actual camera for individual pics of all of them soon!
I ordered from Meyer. I live about 5 hours south of Meyer but they shipped Monday and arrived Wednesday.
Thank you so much for posting. How is she doing now? Better I hope. Im surprised it took two days to get your chicks from Meyer if you are only about 5 hours away. Geesh. Hmm. Im in MA and hoping for next day delivery but we'll see. Anyway I love that they are kind of chip munk patterned. I don't think any of the other chicks I ordered will have that pattern so I should be able to pick out the Barnevelder easily. Thanks so much
love.gif

Are you worried at all about your chicks getting sunburned with all of that glass?:celebrate

Laugh out loud, nah it's kinda shady in that spot!
Those 3 windows were a very expensive mistake when I built my house 8 years ago, they have been in the attic awaiting a use since then. So at least they match the house!

Gary

I am working on my first coop, the brooder will be in the coop and I am using the Mama Heating Pad.  I am getting 7 chicks the first week of April 2017.   I was hoping to get a few of us newbies together who are gearing up for our first time this spring!  Lets post pictures of our coops, our birds when we get them and see who gets the first egg!

Who is in?

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here:)

I'm in Gary!
Manitoba, Canada here
1f1e8-1f1e6.png

Last edited:
Wow how big is that coop?:thumbsup  its awesome!  A couple questions..what did you have up inside for walls?  It looks nice and clean and washable?  Did you get your blue/red wyandotte's yet I would love to see some pics of your chicks.  Love that your coop is walk in.  Also very inventive nest boxes and feeding stations and brooder too.  I guess I love all of it:love

The coop is 8x8 and run is 8x24. Walls are painted particleboard (with 3" insulation). Hoping they'll be easy to clean, time will tell! We didn't end up with the blue laced reds today :(

Hatchery got the feed store order wrong and cancelled all the blue laced reds. We were also told that they wouldn't sex those like our other breeds because they were considered a specialty breed.. then they said they were $18 a bird :(
So, unsure if we will choose an $18 possible rooster or not. We did do 2 silver laced Wyandottes instead.

Back
Top Bottom