Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
So I am not sure of how to post here or what all these little diagrams on my screen mean but I am pretty handy with a hammer and nails-- I've wanted chickens for several years... is it too late to start with chicks this year? I don't have lots of money but am on a ledge with lots of rock; has anyone else out there ever built a stone chicken coop?

So I am not sure of how to post here or what all these little diagrams on my screen mean but I am pretty handy with a hammer and nails-- I've wanted chickens for several years... is it too late to start with chicks this year? I don't have lots of money but am on a ledge with lots of rock; has anyone else out there ever built a stone chicken coop?

Hi @Joannimal !
welcome-byc.gif

Introduce yourself here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions

And if you post your question in the coop forum I'm sure you'll get some great answers! Also check out the coop section of the website and see if you can find what you're looking for :https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

How ever you build your coop, you are going to need to make it predator proof. That means, hardware cloth over all openings. You will need windows for natural lighting, and lots of ventilation. All openings need to be covered with hardware cloth if they are big enough that you could push a quarter through them. It is helpful if you put your general location in your profile. That way, it helps people to give you information that is geared to your geographic area.

It is not too late to start with chicks, if you are in the northern hemisphere. Many of us start our chicks in spring.

Things to consider: Look at brooding with a heating pad. See the article in my signature at the bottom of my post. Just click on it.

When building a coop: lots of ventilation. Natural lighting. Make it big enough to accomodate future needs: 4 s.f. in coop, 10 s.f. in run per bird. Tall enough that there is 15 - 18" above the perches, perches are 15" away from back wall and 18 - 36" above floor. Big enough that the chickens can easily get off roost without smacking into the wall in front of them. Nest boxes must be placed below perches in height.

Also: consider deep litter in both coop and run.

Welcome to BYC!

If you go to the learning center, you'll find lots of neat articles. If you hover over someone's name in a post, it will bring up options to find out a bit more about that member. On the bottom of each post there are 3 boxes: Multi, quote, reply. Multi copies their post into your reply. If you are replying to multiple posts, hit that button as you read. If you are only replying to one post, you can hit quote. If you are simply joining the conversation, just hit reply. Hit the green thumb on the right, and you can give an ovation to the poster if you find their material helpful. At the top of each page there are 2 tabs on the left, post a reply, or start a new thread. Use the new thread to start your own conversation on a topic. We encourage you to do so. It keeps the forums busy, and often you will get more info specific to your needs. Also, look at dates when checking out various threads. Even though something is pertinent to your issue, if the thread is 3 years old, best to start a new thread. Happy surfing!!!

How ever you build your coop, you are going to need to make it predator proof.  That means, hardware cloth over all openings.  You will need windows for natural lighting, and lots of ventilation.  All openings need to be covered with hardware cloth if they are big enough that you could push a quarter through them.  It is helpful if you put your general location in your profile.  That way, it helps people to give you information that is geared to your geographic area.  

It is not too late to start with chicks, if you are in the northern hemisphere.  Many of us start our chicks in spring.  

Things to consider:  Look at brooding with a heating pad.  See the article in my signature at the  bottom of my post.  Just click on it.  

When building a coop:  lots of ventilation.  Natural lighting.  Make it big enough to accomodate future needs:  4 s.f. in coop, 10 s.f. in run per bird.  Tall enough that there is 15 - 18" above the perches, perches are 15" away from back wall and 18 - 36" above floor.  Big enough that the chickens can easily get off roost without smacking into the wall in front of them.   Nest boxes must be placed below perches in height.  

Also:  consider deep litter in both coop and run.  

Welcome to BYC!  

If you go to the learning center, you'll find lots of neat articles.  If you hover over someone's name in a post, it will bring up options to find out a bit more about that member.  On the bottom of each post there are 3 boxes:  Multi, quote, reply.  Multi copies their post into your reply.  If you are replying to multiple posts, hit that button as you read.  If you are only replying to one post, you can hit quote.  If you are simply joining the conversation, just hit reply.  Hit the green thumb on the right, and you can give an ovation to the poster if you find their material helpful.  At the top of each page there are 2 tabs on the left, post a reply, or start a new thread.  Use the new thread to start your own conversation on a topic.  We encourage you to do so.  It keeps the forums busy, and often you will get more info specific to your needs.  Also, look at dates when checking out various threads.  Even though something is pertinent to your issue, if the thread is 3 years old, best to start a new thread.  Happy surfing!!!

They arrived at 6am this morning! One chick - I think the cubalaya - seems a bit puny, but hopefully, she'll make it. Ideal included 6 large male chicks for heat, and I think they are cochins due to their size and feathered feetsies. We're going to let them grow out a little bit, I think, just to make sure none are female, which we'd keep. What do you guys do with the extra males?

Here's a couple of pics of them cozy in their brooder. :) They were more than happy to eat and drink!

• lazy gardener
  • flock_master.v4034723729.png
    When building a coop: lots of ventilation. Natural lighting. Make it big enough to accommodate future needs: 4 s.f. in coop, 10 s.f. in run per bird. Tall enough that there is 15 - 18" above the perches, perches are 15" away from back wall and 18 - 36" above floor. Big enough that the chickens can easily get off roost without smacking into the wall in front of them. Nest boxes must be placed below perches in height.
  • 28cdc983_2.png
We are confused. This suggests that perch height should be 18" to 36" above the floor and then it says nesting boxes "must" be placed below perches in height. We read this to mean, basically, that the nesting boxes will be on the floor?? We plan on having a 6'or 7' x 10' coop and have it about 20" off the ground. We are leaning towards putting the nesting boxes on the outside. We know nothing for sure but are reading everything we can to maximize our chances to get it right. Thanks for comments. BB

It simply avoids a common pit fall of the chickens sleeping in the nest boxes if the boxes are below the perches. Your birds are going to want to perch on the highest location in your coop. You don't want poopy nests. Check out the Coops tab at the top of the page. You can see lots of builds, and get ideas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom