Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
@collie1470
 Super cute!  You got such good close up pictures!  I can see lots of time just watching chick tv.  I spent about an hour watching the chicks at TSC today not even realizing I was the crazy lady watching the chicks run around for an hour:oops:
I've spent most of the day staring at them lol. Chicks make me terribly unproductive. Our TSC starts getting chicks on the 13th, so I imagine I'll stare at those too hahaha.

@collie1470
 Super cute!  You got such good close up pictures!  I can see lots of time just watching chick tv.  I spent about an hour watching the chicks at TSC today not even realizing I was the crazy lady watching the chicks run around for an hour:oops:

Haha! I did that last night. I even made sure the people buying bantams got them instead of the standard size chicks they almost received! ;)

Super cute chicks @collie1470 !!

My floor is finally on the frame! Vinyl flooring to come later tomorrow.

Btw I didn't make things easier on myself by building this a custom size on skids to fit through the gate if need be. 5.5' X 11' is quite a unique size and no building material comes in those dimensions :p

Just got our first 22 chickies this morning!! Sooooo exciting! We are in Virginia and the hatcheries are hatching! LOL - I have 8 Rhode Island Reds, 8 Black Sex Linked, 4 americauna-hybrids (all 2 days old) and 2 (slightly older -- 14 days) EEs.

Only concern -- one of the hybrids is SO lethargic! I've picked her up and held her and dropper-fed her electrolyte water (per other post suggestions to others), but haven't seen her eat for hours... I'm so sad - I'm afraid she won't make it through the night... it's really late and I have to go to bed -- I hate to leave her. :-(

The others are active and eating/drinking/pooping like they should - happy and spunky. Just this one... :-(
Any other suggestions are welcome. :-D

Hello experts! I inherited 2 bantams last Oct. My coop will hold four bantams so I bought 6 lil ones from the local tractor supply. I kept 2 and gave the other four to a friend that lost four of hers to coyotes. 2 of the 6 were similar in color and markings. I kept one and she took one. I received a terrible text this evening that the lil one my friend took did not survive. The one I kept does not seem to be doing well. Its breathing seems labored to me but this is my first time with chicks. It falls asleep standing up usually falling forward and staying face down in the pine shavings. I have them in a brooder with a heat lamp in a spare bedroom. I have thermometers on either side of the brooder. Directly under the lamp its reading 98 degrees. One corner reads 90 and another just above 80. I have chick granules and a waterer. When the chick is awake it seems to chirp loudly. I read that could mean too hot/cold or hungry. The other chick I have is doing great. Stretching its wings and legs, so cute to watch. Im basing my worry off of the comparison of the chicks bought from the same supply store at the same time. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello experts! I inherited 2 bantams last Oct. My coop will hold four bantams so I bought 6 lil ones from the local tractor supply. I kept 2 and gave the other four to a friend that lost four of hers to coyotes. 2 of the 6 were similar in color and markings. I kept one and she took one. I received a terrible text this evening that the lil one my friend took did not survive. The one I kept does not seem to be doing well. Its breathing seems labored to me but this is my first time with chicks. It falls asleep standing up usually falling forward and staying face down in the pine shavings. I have them in a brooder with a heat lamp in a spare bedroom. I have thermometers on either side of the brooder. Directly under the lamp its reading 98 degrees. One corner reads 90 and another just above 80. I have chick granules and a waterer. When the chick is awake it seems to chirp loudly. I read that could mean too hot/cold or hungry. The other chick I have is doing great. Stretching its wings and legs, so cute to watch. Im basing my worry off of the comparison of the chicks bought from the same supply store at the same time. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I think your temperature might be a little high. They need a colder area to escape to and the warmest area should be 90-95 degrees. Try raising the lamp a little and slanting it in a way where the other side is a little cooler :)

HI FROM HOPKINSVILLE KY!

This is my flock of 8, the FlufferButters. We picked them out at TSC on 26 February, at 3 days old.

We're a military family::: me, the wife and mom; the hubby/dad who is a SFC in the Army; our 7.5 y/o boy; our dog, Wolfie; 2 cats, WhineyButt and Ocean. After moving 7 times within 12 years, we've finally gotten to settle down on our own little 2 1/2 acre *farm*. Neither myself or DH were raised on or around farms, so I did about 3 months worth of research on chickens before we got this flock. We are using the MHP in our brooder, which we refer to as the ChickieCave.

We planned on getting 6 however, a local person told us to get more than we wanted (needed) as, more than likely, we'd lose a couple. We picked out 8 and, so far, we still have 8!!!
big_smile.png
So far, we are thrilled to be raising chickens and I can't wait to get them outside into their coop and see the fresh eggs!

HI FROM HOPKINSVILLE KY!

This is my flock of 8, the FlufferButters. We picked them out at TSC on 26 February, at 3 days old.

We're a military family::: me, the wife and mom; the hubby/dad who is a SFC in the Army; our 7.5 y/o boy; our dog, Wolfie; 2 cats, WhineyButt and Ocean. After moving 7 times within 12 years, we've finally gotten to settle down on our own little 2 1/2 acre *farm*. Neither myself or DH were raised on or around farms, so I did about 3 months worth of research on chickens before we got this flock. We are using the MHP in our brooder, which we refer to as the ChickieCave.

We planned on getting 6 however, a local person told us to get more than we wanted (needed) as, more than likely, we'd lose a couple. We picked out 8 and, so far, we still have 8!!!
big_smile.png
So far, we are thrilled to be raising chickens and I can't wait to get them outside into their coop and see the fresh eggs!
Nice job on setting up MHP! And thank you and your family for serving our country! We were in the Navy for 26 years, retired now for 20- <gasp, has it been that long??> so I sure get the moving and then finally being able to call a place "home".

Nice job on setting up MHP! And thank you and your family for serving our country! We were in the Navy for 26 years, retired now for 20- <gasp, has it been that long??> so I sure get the moving and then finally being able to call a place "home".
And thank YOU as well Blooie! DH has 20+ years in, no signs of getting out YET, but it was over time for us to put down roots. Thank you, again, for posting about the MHP.... it was literally the ONLY WAY DH agreed to chickens. He'd seen heat lamps fail and wanted no part of them again...... the MHP works SO well it's not even funny! 8 happy, healthy, WARM chickies.

I think your temperature might be a little high. They need a colder area to escape to and the warmest area should be 90-95 degrees. Try raising the lamp a little and slanting it in a way where the other side is a little cooler :)

Thank you for the advice The Golden Egg!
The picture you saw was just a portion of the brooder. Ill post the full size of it. The lamp unfortunately doesnt raise any higher, but the farther from the light is room temp which is between 68 and 72. I read on another thread to give the chick emergen-c and I think its working. It is now moving more tban it was and grooming itself.

Back
Top Bottom