Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
I just received a text message from McMurray Hatchery that my chicks have shipped!

celebrate.gif

I'm very VERY excited!! I can't wait to pick them up at the post office and share pics! I hope they have an easy journey!

Everyone has their own way of doing things and no one way is correct for all but I have read over and over that the premade coops can be seriously lacking and most folks who get them end up replacing them rather quickly or regretting their purchase. Just FYI it may be better to spend a little up front to have a more secure, better sized and sturdier coop from the beginning.  The consensus is by building your own you save money in the long run.  But everyone has to do what's right for their situation. 

Yes, I totally agree. You generally get what you pay for.

We spent quite a bit of time researching coops and when the coop came on sale on Black Friday, we snagged it for sub $200. We've been beefing ours up with extra paint, liquid nails, caulking, and other reinforcements.

If we decide to expand our flock in a few years, we'll convert an old shed or build a new bigger one.

Love seeing everyone's chicks! Mine are shipping tomorrow! I am getting chocolate orpingtons, chocolate cuckoo orpingtons, and possibly a couple of BBS mottled orps as extras. So excited!
We are coming up with chocolate-related names for them. So far we came up with Truffle and Chip. :)

Love seeing everyone's chicks! Mine are shipping tomorrow! I am getting chocolate orpingtons, chocolate cuckoo orpingtons, and possibly a couple of BBS mottled orps as extras. So excited!
We are coming up with chocolate-related names for them. So far we came up with Truffle and Chip. :)
How exciting!! They all sound so beautiful!

jumpy.gif

Can't wait to see the pics! Chocolate related names ... nice! How about names like Perugina or Godiva or some other fun sounding chocolatier name?

Wow! Everyone's coops look great! I don't have a picture of mine but I'm currently revamping an older coop that I used in the past. I already have my chicks in a brooder, in my bathroom. I originally bought 6 pullets & 6 straight run Rhode Island Reds from Tractor Supply. Apparently they got a bad group of RIRs because I lost 5 of my 6 chicks. I'm hoping not to loose the last one. Thankfully TSC replaced my lost chicks.
Good luck everyone! I look forward to seeing everyone's chicks!

Back
Top Bottom