Spring comes early to the gulf coast, I think I am prepared this time.

Scottingitup

Songster
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
Crestview, FL
Here's what the fall harvest of turkeys brought in - after a trip to the feed mill
smile.png
Just about all the weight my truck can handle. I should be good for a while - even with it almost being time for poults! I put together a custom sized pallet from scrap wood last night - it works much better than the full size one I had; there is still walking room!

No problems with feed going bad - I have a heat pump water heater in the garage. The wh removes all the heat and humidity from the garage even in the brutal florida summers.

Nice!! That looks like my once a month trip to the feed store. That amount of feed may last 30 days. I had to have shelves built in my feed storage building to store all of the feed.

I count 27 sacks. How many are in your flocks? I usually use 50 to 75 a month during the summer and am using 3 sacks a day, now that the don't have as much to forage on and that is only for the birds. I buy about 3 sacks a week for my rabbits, too. Rabbits don't eat nearly as much for the amount of meat, or so they say. Feed where I am comes 50 sacks to a pallet, so we take a trailer to pick it up and they put the whole pallet on the trailer with a fork lift. We stack it on one side of our 8x12 feed storage shed and the rabbit feed and hay on the other. You should be good for a while, depending on how old your turkeys are and whatever other birds you are raising. We have about 200-300 chickens, 100 ducks, 3 geese, and 27 turkeys, plus a few dozen youngin's that are hatching daily.
he.gif
We are working on fewer ducks and chickens and more turkeys and rabbits. These guys have got to pay for their own feed, no more freeloaders!!!

I feed about 35 ish turkeys at peak. Past that my land can not provide a decent amount of forage for them and costs go way up. Almost half is layer pellets for the ducks and chickens. 20 or so of those.

I count 27 sacks. How many are in your flocks? I usually use 50 to 75 a month during the summer and am using 3 sacks a day, now that the don't have as much to forage on and that is only for the birds. I buy about 3 sacks a week for my rabbits, too. Rabbits don't eat nearly as much for the amount of meat, or so they say. Feed where I am comes 50 sacks to a pallet, so we take a trailer to pick it up and they put the whole pallet on the trailer with a fork lift. We stack it on one side of our 8x12 feed storage shed and the rabbit feed and hay on the other. You should be good for a while, depending on how old your turkeys are and whatever other birds you are raising. We have about 200-300 chickens, 100 ducks, 3 geese, and 27 turkeys, plus a few dozen youngin's that are hatching daily. :he    We are working on fewer ducks and chickens and more turkeys and rabbits. These guys have got to pay for their own feed, no more freeloaders!!!

Same here. I sold off 20 muscovy drakes this weekend and I still think I have about 60 ducks left. :hit I have sold 20 of my older hens in the last 2 weeks. They were about 4 years old but people wanted them for the few eggs that they are still laying. I was surprised that I was able to sell them fro $15.00 being though they were older. Now that gives me room to bring in more layers. :oops: Did I just say that? I need the layers for eggs. I can't keep up with customer egg needs and I want to be able to sell more hens. I think I will up my price to $18.00 - $20.00 for future hens.

I was suppose to pair the rabbits up this weekend but I totally forgot. Glad that you mentioned that. I need to get on it.

Back
Top Bottom