"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Very similar but different:

Clinical Differences

Triple Antibiotic Ointment and Bacitracin ointment by itself fight different kinds of bacteria. The three active ingredients in Triple Antibiotic Ointment are Bacitracin Neomycin & Polymyxin B. Both Neomycin and Polymyxin B are antibiotics that are used for gram-negetive bactirial infections that may produce endotoxins . While Bacitracin used mainly for gram-positive infections.

Difference In Applications

Even though Triple Antibiotic ointment does contain Bacitracin; they are best used for different situations.

Triple antibiotic is widely used general prevention for infection on minor cuts before and infection develops. This is why it sometimes referred to as first aid ointment. Because it is useful against both gram-positive and gram-negetive bacteria, can also be used when the type of infection already present isn’t known.

Bacitracin is more effectively used as a topical medication for specific bacterial skin infections like streptococcus (Skin strep symptoms include severe pain and swelling, and erythema or redness at the treatment site and in extreme cases necrotizing fasciitis) and staphylococcus (Skin staph symptoms include localized collection of pus, possible abscess or boil, wound area painful to touch. Pus drainage is common as well) When the type of infection is known it is best to use the narrowest-spectrum antibiotic. Additionally gram-positive antibiotics with have no effect in gram-negative infections.

Last edited:
Ok, got all the sticky stuff off and her eye is open. Now I just have to put that stuff on and she will be good! Should I put the rest of the chicks in with her?

They should be fine, I would just keep an eye on the others to make sure they don't pick on her. If they see blood they don't stop pecking at it. Chickens are weird creatures.

They should be fine, I would just keep an eye on the others to make sure they don't pick on her.   If they see blood they don't stop pecking at it. Chickens are weird creatures. 

Ok, it is not bleeding, just a reddish stump.

If she makes it, I am calling her lucky:

I feel so bad for her, she is peeping loudly and can't really open the other eye still. Do you just dunk em (exept the head!) To give them a bath? I have nooo idea whut I am doing.... Do you think she is warm enough, or why is she so noisy?

try q tip warm water dip?

Back
Top Bottom