"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Day 11 now. I candled last night all 10 are dancing I could even make out little legs kicking in a few. So darn cool.

I'm having an issue with a hen. I have a cannible and don't know which one it is. What I first thought was an injury from a rooster turned out to be a cannibal hen. I removed the injured hen and have been tending to her huge wound. Meanwhile I have another hen with an injury. I put her in a cage at night and then let her free range with the rest during the day. No issues as long as they aren't penned up together. I have 3 hens together and so far nobody else has been chewed on. The 2 that have been chewed on have a bare patch from the roo. Their feathers are coming back and injuries are healing. My question is, will this hen stop or will I have to find out which one it is and get rid of her?

You could try peepers to keep her from seeing directly in front of her. You could also saddle the two girls she was picking on.

Locked down 8 turkey eggs this morning.

6 of the 8 looking good.

I must have marked date I set wrong as I think some had already pipped internally.

So I'm hoping that the lack of higher humidity for a couple of days doesn't impact the hatch too bad.

Congrats to all that have hatched.
Turkey eggs! Now that would be fun! How long does it take to finish a turkey? Would it be ready for our mid August fair?

I'm not sure. I got them from Sally. @Sally Sunshine maybe you can answer this?

If I am right, the Sapphires are a Leghorn/Cream Crested Legbar cross. A SBEL, Super Blue Egg Layer, is a Leghorn/Ameraucana cross. If you use white Leghorns the two crosses are usually white with a few black feathers and the Sapphires may have a crest. If you use colored Leghorns you can get colored chicks and if you used a barred and a solid you make sex-links.

Didn't get the planting done. Cleaned the hatcher. Calibrated thermos and hygros. Candled eggs. Out of 61 set over the past month I have 0 chicks and 14 viable eggs left. One seller will send me chicks. I have another seller to contact this week. I'm discouraged but determined. I rebuilt/redesigned/relocated a coop for these guys. I just have to figure out a door.
I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.
Wow, I'm sorry you have had such a rough month of hatching. I hope things quickly improve!

My hatch is finally over. The incubator has been cleaned and 20 Ancona duck eggs already set! Yes!!!!

I am new to incubating and there were two parts I struggled with; not assisting hatching and the egtopsy. I did not assist our chicks but it was very hard to resist at one point. In the end not assisting was the right thing to do, had I helped it hatch I would have done that chick no favors! The egtopsy was VERY hard for me, but I feel it is SO VALUABLE. It was so difficult for me my husband did it for/with me. We learned more about candling and chick development from the egtopsy then a book told us. It also gave me information to use in the future about my incubator, egg suppliers, chick development.

So, here are my final results for the Farmers Market vs Micro Farm hatching.
Farmers Market, sold as fertile eggs
18 eggs set, 5 fertile
4 hatched (2 normal, 1 yolk not fully absorbed(minor) and 1 malpositioned w/naval issues and kinda crusty)
1 was a day 20 or 21 death

Micro Farm, sold as fertile eggs
12 set, 10 fertile
10 hatched normal
The farmer told me yesterday that she suspected her welsummer eggs were infertile due to her ladies avoiding her rooster. I confirmed that tonight when I opened them.

Total
15 fertile eggs, 14 hatched (1 didn't make it to 24 hours old though... Poor #14, we tried, we did try so hard.
I'm glad you had a really good hatch. You were good about not assisting.
clap.gif
Yes, egtopsy can be tough, but you can gain such valuable knowledge.
thumbsup.gif

Good luck with the Anconas you set!
fl.gif

Hi All!!

This is my update for the April Spring along...

Of the hatch for a friend eggs, I had 6 hatch
celebrate.gif
, 6 DIS
hit.gif
. 1 hatched 3/31, but 5 hatched 4/1. I currently have 13 Salmon Favorelle and 13 of my silkie eggs going in to lockdown on 4/4. I have 6 EE and 6 backyard mix eggs from a friend, plus 13 shipped blue/buff Cochin and 2 of my silkie eggs set on 3/27. 6 shipped silkie eggs, 12 auto sexing EEs and 19 frizzled EEs set on 4/1, but I snuck 6 more shipped silkie eggs in tonight! nm still waiting for some more eggs that should arrive in a day or two. Not sure how many, or what kinds, but I have space in the incubator - waiting for them!
Congratulations on the ones that hatched. Sorry about the DIS. Sounds like you are staying busy with hatching plans for a while!
woot.gif

16 days left. All 3 are alive & dancing when I candled today.
I am not sure what these even are but my uncle said they're supposed to be some kind of banty. I have 3 more to set that he gave me today. They are also unknowns.
Off to a good start!

WOOOOT WOOOT!! I am all caught up on the article for now!! Thanks Chaos for helping me out there buddy. I was posting and it took me a minute to figure out that those had been changed already. LOL

Sad face for CH 33. I know what I did wrong when I packed that box.... Learning process... I tried to squeeze too many in there... Just not having good luck and unfortunetly I am a person that needs to learn by mistakes... Sorry kiddo.

Back
Top Bottom