"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Mar 3, 2016.

1. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    Does anyone hatch their own cornish cross chickens? I have dual purpose breeds but with an incubator that holds more eggs I'd like to hatch a breed that can be pastured and dressed in ~ 3 months. Let me know what you recommend.

Great learning experience!

Sounds pretty good so far.

2. weegarden

weegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    I am so excited for you! You are so close now! Just don't be tempted to open the incubator! It is so hard! You are almost there. They will just, all of a sudden, start to unzip, and make sure you don't miss that, because it is absolutely magical!!!! Have a ball! Wait until you see his face when that first one hatches! I'm excited for you!

3. heatherledet

heatherledet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    i woke up and was kind of sad it hadnt hatched but it did pip a day early and now its really pipping and chirping. We are not gong to help. Im more afraid to hurt it than anything. We have another egg that just pipped and they have 4 i saw moving . Thanks! I cant wait to see his face. Im excited myself. Best experiment ever! :D Hes been helping me in our garden too. His questions...We growing pickles momma and we gonna make salad too And what my chickens eat in there momma? :love Then we planted all the seed in cups inside and they all pretty much have sprouted so hes having lots of spring fun! My daughter still just wants to smash it all and get dirty but she likes it too. Shes just turned 2 though.

4. weegarden

Jul 17, 2014
    [​IMG]
    My hatch is going well! I set 11. 5 hatched already, 4 more are pipped, and one is zipping!
    How fun! I am having a ball with all of these contests! And, this is my very first hatch-a-long!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  5. weegarden

Jul 17, 2014
    Your house sounds like my classroom! How fun!

6. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    24 more eggs set from my flock. These will mostly be EE and OE F1 (Ameraucana Roo over many hens) but there's a slim chance of some Brabanter or Barnevelder genetics. I'll have to separate my groups this week then do test hatches over the next few weeks to see how the genetics work out. I was going to separate them already but I needed to patch the small coop fencing and today it is snowing with a high predicted of 20s. We probably have about a week left of wintery weather then spring raininess for the rest of April.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  7. weegarden

Jul 17, 2014
    I just did a bunch of separating last week. That is a big job, but it feels good when it is done. I can't wait for the spring rain! I'm ready. My chickens are too! Love your mug shot. What kind of chick is that?

8. kybyxbee

kybyxbee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Near Owensboro Kentucky
    So nervous this morning, put eggs in lockdown last night, waiting for some kind of movement is hard. I just want some sign of life.

9. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    8:22 1st chicks out :jumpy its out of the egg and moving around all wobbly and chirping bit i think the egg and cord are still intact it not bloody but its like stuck to it. It seems to be dragging it to get free. Is this normal?

10. heatherledet

Feb 19, 2016
    Now it moved and i can sew a little better. It looks like it will detach in a few more walks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by