"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

The power came on a few minutes ago so it was only an hour but the temp reading said 91 degrees inside the bator. The eggs felt warm though when I just turned them. Going to bed and hope and pray for the best.

That's a relief! I think of power outages like it is a mother hen taking a little break.... As long as it doesn't last too long, then all is well. Many of my eggs have been through power outages and did just fine. Sometimes I put ziplock bags of hot water in the bator and that helps keep the temp up till the power is back.

Hello all
Candled my remaining 26 eggs this morning day 14 1/2. For the most part they all looked good the air cells were right on target. I do have a slight question on four of them, but will let them remain until day 18 and reevaluate. I was very worried last night with extremely high winds here on the Maine coast. There was spotty power outages all over the county with tree limbs coming down, but my power never even flickered,so I lucked out this time. Lock down will be just a few days away now, will keep you posted.
Happy Hatching

I'm going to just put them in the Octagon. I have the humidity detector on there, and it is just not worth taking the chance. My students would be so disappointed. They are so excited! The humidity is still going up on the advanced, so it is just not worth the risk. I have a new hygrometer to use with the advance, and I need to make sure it is calibrated correctly. My octagon has been spot on, and I have the humidity pump, so no worries in there. :)
I have an Octagon and I didn't think it was that hard to clean. I only had 14 eggs hatch so maybe it was a small enough hatch that it wasn't too bad. And our kids could see the hatching very well!

I had a whole conversation with #2 egg tonight... Maybe it will break the shell by morning?!?
fl.gif
GOOD LUCK!

So out of 11 total in lockdown... 5 golden necked D'Uccles out so far, 1 Lav cuckoo D'Anvers. The other was DIS when i added some water and took some shells out... Did an external pip, but never broke internal membrane
hit.gif
So only one of my "special" babies survived
hit.gif

On a side note, Monday the dozen silkies and Mille Fleur D'Uccles go into lockdown... Not going to tell my husband about the 30 eggs I just received from the Post Office on Thurs...

Sweet!! Did you loan out your incubator? I would feel like I was missing an appendage.

My friend said she would need it just as an incubator to put her eggs in that weren't ready for lockdown (she had a staggered hatch) she has had it for almost 2 months!! I feel the need to hatch!

Back
Top Bottom