"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Some more action... #3 needed a little help as it was packed in there like a sardine. #1 is also. I wish I had let them loose more moisture. I was trying so hard to keep loss around 15% when they really should have lost more than that. I think the humidity here is double strength. #2, the first one out was pretty crusty and wasn't fluffing up so she got a little bath. She was so sweet all snuggled in her towel.

Some more action... #3 needed a little help as it was packed in there like a sardine. #1 is also. I wish I had let them loose more moisture. I was trying so hard to keep loss around 15% when they really should have lost more than that. I think the humidity here is double strength. #2, the first one out was pretty crusty and wasn't fluffing up so she got a little bath. She was so sweet all snuggled in her towel.

These are amazing! Thank you SO much for sharing it with us all!

Too many cute chicks! Hope my eggs hatch some healthy baby chicks. My 2 year old made a chicken feed birthday cake with straw for candles "for the baby chicks" he said. ..... No pressure!

Too many cute chicks! Hope my eggs hatch some healthy baby chicks. My 2 year old made a chicken feed birthday cake with straw for candles "for the baby chicks" he said. ..... No pressure!

Aww, how sweet!

Hope you get a good hatch. :fl
-Banti

Younger or inexperienced roosters can take a while to figure out how to 'hit the mark'. It's quite the balancing act to accomplish a successful mating. And, like I said, it can take a while for the hens to warm up to him. And it can take time for him to gain the confidence to mount the more dominant hens. My current cockerel has been the only male in the flock for the last 3 months, and a few of the hens are still rejecting his 'goods'.
He is older. I'm guessing at least 2 years. But, it is possible that he was spooked by some of my more dominant hens. I will also have to try trimming him, but I want him for show in August, so I don't want to ruin his feathering. I will definitely give him more time. He is worth waiting for if he eventually produces chicks.

OK, I following the "buy it here" link instead of sending PM. Have now sent a PM and will report back if Chris says "old news."

Found the threads, so thanks!
Please let me know if you find anything out. I'm interested for sure.

At the risk of sounding like a "voyeur," I've watched my two roos. Some of the hens will lift their tails for one of them but not the other and some other hens have the other preference. I just set 40 eggs and only had two clears, so my guys seem to be keeping the girls happy.
Ha! I had to look up voyeur. :) That is interesting. I am learning something for sure.

Yep. People like to blame the rooster/cockerel when eggs aren't getting fertilized, never realizing it might the hens that aren't cooperating. And a hen can actually choose to retain sperm or eject it after a breeding.

Hmm, the hens could be guilty! That is interesting too. In the other coop, they liked to sit up on the perch, only to sneak down for a quick drink, but they can't in their new coop. I don't ever see him mount them though. But, if he is dancing around like he is, maybe they are refusing. I'll have to wait and see.

Update: Orust chicks starting to feather out nicely.
This chick is adorable!

Is the site slow for everyone or is it just me?? This is PAINFUL!!!
It is going very very slow for me too. There are a lot of graphics, so it takes forever for them to load, but I wouldn't want to miss out on them.

Yes, with mini advance I do get condensation during hatching, not as much as you seem to be experiencing though.
Ok, that is good to know. I didn't get to check this afternoon, but hopefully it is down a bit.

Hi all! I'm so egg-cited to join you! This is my first time incubating so I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. Just got a GQF Genesis 1588 set up today, and a dozen serama eggs ready to go in tomorrow morning!
Good luck! I hope you have a super hatch! You will like it here a lot! There is so much good info. And hatching chicks is a ball!

Back
Top Bottom