"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

pop.gif

I am in, I will be hatching around 9 silkie eggs. One of our 2 silkies passed away and my son was devastated so I want to hatch him out a few from our last silkie (we have other chickens but well anyone with silkies knows what I mean)

Im in. Just set black copper and blue morans that I won in an auction here. (my first) Also set a few white silkies from "Elvis" and "Marilyn". Ive recently gotten back into chickens, ducks, guineas, and dark throated golden pheasants, after being raised up with many chickens. My Dad hatched a ton of chicks when I was a teen and we sold chicks every spring. These incubators were a 400 egg and a 600 egg. No digital, no auto turners, etc. We lost my Dad 3 yrs ago. My bday is next week and I asked for and got (early) an incubator from my mom. Hatched my first batch and out of 45 eggs set, only hatched 11. While this is discouraging, I was lucky to do that good, bc I have found out that my dang digital thermo was WAY off. 4 dang degrees cooler than it should have been. Most hatched on 23rd day and was throwing out eggs tonight, found one 24th day) pipped and stuck to paper towel with pip on bottom. I had to help the little guy, (a big no-no and my Dad would be horrfied, lol. So far he is alive and improving on a rough start.
Anyway, I am SO DISGUSTED with Farm Innovators! Why the heck bother to put the digital digital stuff on there if they cant even get it reasonably close? I am hoping to do better this time, I did learn a lot about all these high tech (supposedly better- haha) tools. I bought two new thermometers today,, the old fashioned kind, so now I have FOUR in there in addition to the digital..ALL are reading different but close, but the high tech digital that came with incubator is 4 over..I didnt come across this site until recently so I didnt know that FI's are notorious for this. : ( . OK rant over. : )

Im in. Just set black copper and blue morans that I won in an auction here. (my first) Also set a few white silkies from "Elvis" and "Marilyn". Ive recently gotten back into chickens, ducks, guineas, and dark throated golden pheasants, after being raised up with many chickens. My Dad hatched a ton of chicks when I was a teen and we sold chicks every spring. These incubators were a 400 egg and a 600 egg. No digital, no auto turners, etc. We lost my Dad 3 yrs ago. My bday is next week and I asked for and got (early) an incubator from my mom. Hatched my first batch and out of 45 eggs set, only hatched 11. While this is discouraging, I was lucky to do that good, bc I have found out that my dang digital thermo was WAY off. 4 dang degrees cooler than it should have been. Most hatched on 23rd day and was throwing out eggs tonight, found one 24th day) pipped and stuck to paper towel with pip on bottom. I had to help the little guy, (a big no-no and my Dad would be horrfied, lol. So far he is alive and improving on a rough start.
Anyway, I am SO DISGUSTED with Farm Innovators! Why the heck bother to put the digital digital stuff on there if they cant even get it reasonably close? I am hoping to do better this time, I did learn a lot about all these high tech (supposedly better- haha) tools. I bought two new thermometers today,, the old fashioned kind, so now I have FOUR in there in addition to the digital..ALL are reading different but close, but the high tech digital that came with incubator is 4 over..I didnt come across this site until recently so I didnt know that FI's are notorious for this. : ( . OK rant over. : )

Welcome. Sorry about the lose of your father.

I hope you can get a better hatch next time.

Back
Top Bottom