"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Im in. Just set black copper and blue morans that I won in an auction here. (my first) Also set a few white silkies from "Elvis" and "Marilyn". Ive recently gotten back into chickens, ducks, guineas, and dark throated golden pheasants, after being raised up with many chickens. My Dad hatched a ton of chicks when I was a teen and we sold chicks every spring. These incubators were a 400 egg and a 600 egg. No digital, no auto turners, etc. We lost my Dad 3 yrs ago. My bday is next week and I asked for and got (early) an incubator from my mom. Hatched my first batch and out of 45 eggs set, only hatched 11. While this is discouraging, I was lucky to do that good, bc I have found out that my dang digital thermo was WAY off. 4 dang degrees cooler than it should have been. Most hatched on 23rd day and was throwing out eggs tonight, found one 24th day) pipped and stuck to paper towel with pip on bottom. I had to help the little guy, (a big no-no and my Dad would be horrfied, lol. So far he is alive and improving on a rough start.
Anyway, I am SO DISGUSTED with Farm Innovators! Why the heck bother to put the digital digital stuff on there if they cant even get it reasonably close? I am hoping to do better this time, I did learn a lot about all these high tech (supposedly better- haha) tools. I bought two new thermometers today,, the old fashioned kind, so now I have FOUR in there in addition to the digital..ALL are reading different but close, but the high tech digital that came with incubator is 4 over..I didnt come across this site until recently so I didnt know that FI's are notorious for this. : ( . OK rant over. : )

Good morning and welcome. Don't know if you've seen or even need the page that Sally has put together about hatching and I'm not sure how to put the link in but if you go up a few post from your original post you'll see a post from her. On that will be a link to hatching with friends check out the first page.

Im in. Just set black copper and blue morans that I won in an auction here. (my first) Also set a few white silkies from "Elvis" and "Marilyn". Ive recently gotten back into chickens, ducks, guineas, and dark throated golden pheasants, after being raised up with many chickens. My Dad hatched a ton of chicks when I was a teen and we sold chicks every spring. These incubators were a 400 egg and a 600 egg. No digital, no auto turners, etc. We lost my Dad 3 yrs ago. My bday is next week and I asked for and got (early) an incubator from my mom. Hatched my first batch and out of 45 eggs set, only hatched 11. While this is discouraging, I was lucky to do that good, bc I have found out that my dang digital thermo was WAY off. 4 dang degrees cooler than it should have been. Most hatched on 23rd day and was throwing out eggs tonight, found one 24th day) pipped and stuck to paper towel with pip on bottom. I had to help the little guy, (a big no-no and my Dad would be horrfied, lol. So far he is alive and improving on a rough start.
Anyway, I am SO DISGUSTED with Farm Innovators! Why the heck bother to put the digital digital stuff on there if they cant even get it reasonably close? I am hoping to do better this time, I did learn a lot about all these high tech (supposedly better- haha) tools. I bought two new thermometers today,, the old fashioned kind, so now I have FOUR in there in addition to the digital..ALL are reading different but close, but the high tech digital that came with incubator is 4 over..I didnt come across this site until recently so I didnt know that FI's are notorious for this. : ( . OK rant over. : )

Make sure to calibrate all of your thermometers and hygrometers.

Calibration is a MUST: HOW TO CALIBRATE post #9068

True and that's what I'm doing.

How do I give someone the links for information? Is there a spot to copy the link when it's open
The link in my signature is to the notes section that Sally keeps. All I do (when on a computer and not a mobile device) is select what I want to copy, press ctrl+c, than go to were I want to paste it and press ctrl+v and it should copy paste everything you selected including any links.

Quote:
heritage sweetgrass descendants from Ariel birds in Mass. the to last year hatch hens are sitting tight. I haven't bothered the hens afraid they would get off.
One of them got off last week to stretch her wings. She flew over the pasture fence to the neighbors (bad german shepherd over there) I had drive over there to get her back on my side. They can never find there way back. They just pace the fence line. If they get off again I'll check their eggs. My little one eyed turkey is sitting in my horse trailer on 7 eggs. I have seen her off at all. Have to check on her. Thank the rain has let up.

Back
Top Bottom