"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

My hatching is almost over. I ended up with broody momma #1 5 silkies
Momma # 2- 4 silkies
Momma # 3- still sitting but had one hatch last night and has a pip!
Incubator was all shipped eggs except for silkies- set 8 german bielefelder- 6 made it to lockdown 3 hatched two boys and a girl- 2 dead in shell malpositioned-1 late quitter
silkies 6 set 5 hatched one internally pipped then died because all the other chiks in the incubator flipped it over and smothered it
Barred rock 12 to lockdown 10 hatched-two dead in shell malpositioned
Lav orphingtons- 5 to lockdown- 4 hatched one dead in shell malpositioned
All the shipped eggs had Huge malpositioned air cells, I know my humidity was correct because my silkie eggs had perfect air cells and weight loss. It really is a miracle any of them hatched. I had 3-4 pip at the wrong end and make it out.

Went to get chick food and bought 2 speckled sussex and buff brahma chick at feed store......My husband says I am insane
tongue2.gif
No you are not, you didn't have any of those hatch out
lau.gif

this is spud and his mum is called rico but this picture seems very familiar to me

ahh yes this is his older sister gary (we name them before we know the sex
1f602.png
) from last year his mum is also rico i wonder if it is in the genectics to open their mouth when they see a ca,era but no the rest dont do it so rico must train one of them to do it
1f602.png
1f605.png
1f601.png
1f604.png
1f606.png
1f600.png
(i sold her to a lady who had lost a hen and to cheer up her son bought her and her sister to replace it)

Well I have had several more hatch today, one is zipped, there are now only 6 eggs left that I don't see a pip ... I think I had at least 13 unpipped eggs when I posted last night. Will see what my end of April tally is when bedtime rolls around tonight, I think I will be up late waiting for husband. He's with his siblings discussing the future of his mothers care so I expect it will be a long evening for him.

Well I have had several more hatch today, one is zipped, there are now only 6 eggs left that I don't see a pip ... I think I had at least 13 unpipped eggs when I posted last night. Will see what my end of April tally is when bedtime rolls around tonight, I think I will be up late waiting for husband. He's with his siblings discussing the future of his mothers care so I expect it will be a long evening for him.
Good luck with chickies and MIL hugs !

Odd sense of naming because the next to hatch will be Gravy :D

I named a chicken Gravy. I was having bad luck with the number of roosters I was getting - named them after food to make process day easier - Marsala, Florentine, Cacciatore, Riggie, Parmesan.... I named a favorite chick Gravy to prepare for process day because I love Chicken Gravy. She's a girl and has been a great laying hen.

good luck with the hatch\

This one gave me hell to get a picture where ya can see it, this is one of the favorites that hatched out at the farm last week. Mom was Buff Orpington dad not sure if was BR or RIR

Last edited:
I named a chicken Gravy. I was having bad luck with the number of roosters I was getting - named them after food to make process day easier - Marsala, Florentine, Cacciatore, Riggie, Parmesan.... I named a favorite chick Gravy to prepare for process day because I love Chicken Gravy. She's a girl and has been a great laying hen.
ROFL perfect!!
good luck with the hatch\ This one gave me hell to get a picture where ya can see it, this is one of the favorites that hatched out at the farm last week. Mom was Buff Orpington dad not sure if was BR or RIR
super cute!

So this egg has been pipped with that hole for quite awhile now...not 100% sure how long because I had to be gone a good part of the day but it hasn't made any progress in the couple hours I've been home...how long should I wait?? I'm not a picker and don't like to assist but if I NEED to, in order to save one, I totally will...

Thoughts??

Last edited:

So this egg has been pipped with that hole for quite awhile now...not 100% sure how long because I had to be gone a good part of the day but it hasn't made any progress in the couple hours I've been home...how long should I wait?? I'm not a picker and don't like to assist but if I NEED to, in order to save one, I totally will...

Thoughts??

Carefully tap on the shell and see if you hear and cheeping. Have a bottle of water to spritz the eggs after you open the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom