sprout for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by r00stercogburn, Jun 3, 2010.

1. r00stercogburn

r00stercogburn Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    atlanta
    I am going to grow sprouts for my chickens and I wondered if there were any seeds that I shouldn't sprout. Any thoughts?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You might do a search on "plants toxic to chickens" just to be sure. I can't recall any sprout/grass types of plants that would be bad for them though...

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Be careful with some beans! Read up raw beans can be bad for chickens I believe.

I sprout Wheat, oats, black oil sunflower and clover for my birds.

ON

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I sprout all of the above mentioned and millet, radish, alfalfa (sometimes they get some of my broccoli sprouts, but not very often since the seed costs so much).

This year I plan on collecting dandelion seeds for sprouting - since they are free.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    For chickens, you can sprout any of the seeds that are sold for sprouting, for humans. You can also sprout any of the whole seeds or grains that are sold for feeding the chickens. Seeds that are fresher and have been stored well, have better germination rates than seeds that are old.

Most sprouts can be fed at any time from when the root tip first appears, until they have leaves. The nutritional content will change in different ways, as the sprouts progress.

Beans are the one seed that must be fully sprouted, to be fed safely. You can't just do an over night soak and quick sprout, with beans. For them, you need to rinse and drain them daily and give them a few days to sprout more fully. Or, you can cook them, the same way that you cook raw unsprouted beans, to make them safe to feed.

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Thanks for clearing that up on the beans for me...
    (I knew there was some catch but could not remember it...)
    ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by