1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sprouting wheat in buckets, help?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CountryFried, Nov 25, 2010.

1. CountryFried

CountryFried Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    I'm planning to get wheat for sprouting from the feed store Monday, and I want to get my buckets ready over the weekend. I haven't a clue what size a wheat grain is, could someone give me an idea of what size drill bit to use for draining the buckets? My sister brought me a bunch of 3g buckets from Dunkin' Donuts today LOL.

2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I don't think it matters very much what size drill bit you use. You don't want the dirt coming out of the holes... are you planning to use shards of broken pottery to cover the holes and gravel for drainage? If so you can do with two or three large-ish holes (1/4). If you are not planning for gravel or shards of pottery to aid drainage, then do four to 6 holes that are slightly smaller.

I hope this is helpful,
    Jenny

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    what size a wheat grain is

Rather then worry about making small holes, drill them at least 1/4 to 3/8 inch and lay a piece of screen or cloth on the bottom of the bucket​

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Coffee filters work well for that, too. I use them in the bottom of my hanging baskets, over the drainage holes of my indoor potted plants, etc. They also make great holders for tacos (especially for children), and great drip-catchers for popsicles. [​IMG] They can also be used to polish crystal & glasses without leaving lint. I use them for mirrors, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by