Sprouting Wheat

I do want to make some grow frames for their yard

I found 2 x 6 frames 12" x 24" to be the best size as anything bigger the hardware cloth would sag under the weight of the hens. I cap the hardware cloth edges with 1 x 2's so there are no exposed edges.

In this photo I just moved one to let them tear it down to the ground to start over.
sprout-box-01.jpg

JT

This experiment reminds me of one I read about growing barley. @gtaus made an article on growing fodder in a garage and a hilarious thread one growing fodder in the bathroom (secretly bc the wife should not find it).

I have just one frame with hwc in the chicken run with grasses and wheat. (2’x4’). But they free range too. So its meant for when they are locked in whole day.

This experiment reminds me of one I read about growing barley. @gtaus made an article on growing fodder in a garage and a hilarious thread one growing fodder in the bathroom (secretly bc the wife should not find it).

I have just one frame with hwc in the chicken run with grasses and wheat. (2’x4’). But they free range too. So its meant for when they are locked in whole day.
I was the one in the Garage

I found 2 x 6 frames 12" x 24" to be the best size as anything bigger the hardware cloth would sag under the weight of the hens. I cap the hardware cloth edges with 1 x 2's so there are no exposed edges.

In this photo I just moved one to let them tear it down to the ground to start over.
View attachment 2179410

JT
Mine is pretty big but there is a support in the middle. I made one today

Sorry, hope you don't blame me for the mistake.

Not at all. My garage was just too hot and I wasn't about to run AC to keep some grass alive. I have since then cut the fodder tower down to use as the stand for my gravity fed water system (it's holding the cooler) and my indoor, albeit smaller, growing operation is working just fine. I'm getting use out of the top of the hedgehog habitat so it's a win win :). I plan on building a green house this summer so I plan to move the fodder growing project in there...eventually.

Back
Top Bottom