Sprouting Wheat

Pics
The sprout ratio I think depends more on the seeds. I have some wheat feed from last year that less than half will sprout. The fresh seeds from Power Grow all sprout. The covers seem to keep more moisture in. The sides of the containers are clear so they are not really in the dark.

Just took a close up look at the wheat grass seeds that soaked 12 hours yesterday from 5:30am to 5:30pm and all of the seeds have started to sprout at the 24 hour mark.

I have 5 pounds of barley on the way to test with as I've read on here many times folks sprouting barley seeds for their chickens.

JT

The lentils I sprouted did great. The last batch of organic 3 grain scratch about 50% sprouted. This new batch I left covered longer and it did considerably better. I am also working on sprouting flax seed for them (I had a bag we aren't going to eat) and that is going well. I am following this technique.

117271803_10163793928970114_657386928338943975_o.jpg

Trying to find the lowest ratio of bleach to water that will prevent mold from growing. So what I've been doing for the last two days is adding 5 drops to 3 quarts of water. Downstairs I have 5 containers with the first one having dry wheat grass seeds to soak for 8 - 12 hours today. I pour the water into each container then mix up another 3 quarts and go upstairs to the 5 containers up there and divide the water up in them. I let them all sit a few minutes and soak then drain all but the first container and bring the 5th container from downstairs to upstairs to put into the window. I'll take the 10th container and cut it in half around lunch time and give half to each group.

I figure in 5 - 6 days I'll know if there is enough bleach to kill all the mold. Today I see no mold up to day 7 and only tiny bit of mold left in days 8 - 10.

I cobbled up a shelf so I'd have room for 6 containers.
View attachment 2266941

JT
Try replacing the bleach in your recipe with a capful of hydrogen peroxide. Safer than bleach and much more effective.

Try replacing the bleach in your recipe with a cap full of hydrogen peroxide. Safer than bleach and much more effective.

There seems to be quite a bit of opinions on hydrogen peroxide bleach vs sodium hypochlorite bleach on the net. There is also different concentrations of hydrogen peroxide on the market with typically 3% and 12% so the dosage rate would not be the same for both. Also my cap may be a different size than your cap, I wear a size 9 cap I think.

Doing a bit of research and seems a lot of folks are using a bleach spray to sanitize the growing trays and the CDC recommends sodium hypochlorite concentration of 5%–6% for disinfecting surfaces.

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/disinfection-methods/chemical.html

It's true that sodium hypochlorite mixed with ammonia or acid creates a toxic chlorine gas that is very dangerous. I can't find any citations why hydrogen peroxide would be safer to use than sodium hypochlorite at the concentration level I'm using. Maybe you have a link to that information?

I'm also unable to find any citations on the effectiveness of higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide vs lower concentration of sodium hypochlorite for the control of mold when sprouting seeds.

While doing my research this morning a lot of information regarding mold growth claims the causes might be high humidity, lack of air circulation or the seeds being too wet. Also in hot months using less seeds per container when growing outside. Using clean sterile growing containers is also claimed to help. And of course sellers claim that if you buy their seeds you won't get any mold growth...

So now I'm left wondering if adding a bleach to the rinse water has any effect on preventing mold growth or not.

Not afraid of some speriments I got a fresh bottle of 3% topical hydrogen peroxide and mixed 1cc per cup of water and soaked the sprouts in that then drained well. I have noticed from time to time a small amount of mold growth towards the end in some containers.

JT

JT, I’m willing to bet that 98% of the community read my comment and will add a bottle cap worth of common medicine cabinet hydrogen peroxide (3%) to their mix and experience zero problems. The other 2% will pour it into there baseball cap, that’s just natural selection at work. 12% you mentioned is a commercial grade used for sanitizer for hydroponics growing apparatus. It can be added safely directly to your nutrient solution. We use 98% peroxacedic acid in the brewery for food grade sanitizer. Hydro Perox breaks down into water and oxygen. Like I said it’s safer and more effective for the control you desire. You can find more info on the use of peroxide if you do some research on preparing grain for mushroom inoculation. Cheers...
Ernie

I’m willing to bet that 98% of the community read my comment and will add a bottle cap worth of common medicine cabinet hydrogen peroxide (3%) to their mix and experience zero problems.

Unfortunately my brain is not wired like that to be able add a bottle cap of unknown size of something to an unknown quantity of something else. Can't tell you what color goes with what color either but I can design a machine in my head and build it. I must be the 2% :lau

JT

JT, this should keep you busy. This is the model I’m going off of. There is a lot of useful information in the fifty sum pages. Before you go crazy reading the whole lot, scroll down to the last 5 or so pages. I have some other links somewhere as well as a wealth of info pertaining to grain spawn for growing your own edible mushrooms. Cheers

https://www.farmtek.com/wcsstore/EngineeringServices/allbizunits/techdocs/111628M.pdf

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom