Spurs curling back on leg?

Dianekw

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
Hi. I havent been here in a long time, so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. 🤔 I have a wonderful 3 year old Roo, his name is Russell Crow, and he's such a good boy...never once challenged me or tried to hurt me. He doesn't love it, but he even tolerates me petting him...sort of.... he walks away only slightly faster than he would if I weren't touching him and it were his own idea to walk over there...but not fast enough to give away any sign of fear(Too funny really). Anyways...he doesnt use his spurs on anyone....including the girls...he's very gentle, and they're pretty blunt/rounded anyway, so I've never felt the need to trim them, but now they're almost touching the back of his legs(about 1/2 inch away when he stands), and as he walked away from me today, i noticed the tiniest of light pink patches starting to form about where they must hit his legs when he's perching maybe? It doesnt look painful yet,but i think it might get there in the future. His spurs are black so i cant see if/when I'd be close to the quick...is there some rule of thumb that says about how far into the point the quick reaches? He's such a good boy, and i just hate the thought of hurting him. I've never trimmed a roo's spurs before. Do I have to? ...or will it form a callous there and/or just grow along side his leg if it gets too long? They DO seem to be growing at a bit of an angle, so maybe they wont hit if they get longer? I dont want him to be maimed if I do nothing and they start hitting his legs too much....any expert opinions? Suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210711_195226.jpg
    20210711_195226.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 44
Hi. I havent been here in a long time, so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. 🤔 I have a wonderful 3 year old Roo, his name is Russell Crow, and he's such a good boy...never once challenged me or tried to hurt me. He doesn't love it, but he even tolerates me petting him...sort of.... he walks away only slightly faster than he would if I weren't touching him and it were his own idea to walk over there...but not fast enough to give away any sign of fear(Too funny really). Anyways...he doesnt use his spurs on anyone....including the girls...he's very gentle, and they're pretty blunt/rounded anyway, so I've never felt the need to trim them, but now they're almost touching the back of his legs(about 1/2 inch away when he stands), and as he walked away from me today, i noticed the tiniest of light pink patches starting to form about where they must hit his legs when he's perching maybe? It doesnt look painful yet,but i think it might get there in the future. His spurs are black so i cant see if/when I'd be close to the quick...is there some rule of thumb that says about how far into the point the quick reaches? He's such a good boy, and i just hate the thought of hurting him. I've never trimmed a roo's spurs before. Do I have to? ...or will it form a callous there and/or just grow along side his leg if it gets too long? They DO seem to be growing at a bit of an angle, so maybe they wont hit if they get longer? I dont want him to be maimed if I do nothing and they start hitting his legs too much....any expert opinions? Suggestions? Thanks!
Trim em

Hello!
I definitely agree that you should trim those, or they’ll keep growing and cause damage to his legs.
As for the process of trimming them, I use a dremel with a saw blade, which will quickly cut through the spur. Some people also completely remove the entire spur, which in most cases keeps them from growing back, but can cause significant bleeding.
All of my roosters have light colored spurs, and when held to light I can see the quick through them, and can determine where to cut, although I’m not sure if this is the case with your rooster’s dark spurs. Usually, the lighter, rougher looking tip of the spurs, does not contain the quick, so I suggest starting there, and taking off more if necessary. If you do happen to cause any bleeding, just pack some flour onto it to stop it.

Back
Top Bottom