1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

SQ calls and BEIs for sale... input on quality?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gypsylion, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Gypsylion

Gypsylion Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    Boston, MA
    My babies are too loud for my neighbors (big surprise, eh?). :-/

They are my first ducks, and I'm still pretty new to this poultry thing... how do they stack up?

Calls
    [​IMG]

BEIs (not the greatest pics... sorry!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics and full info on the sale thread here.

The call ducks are about 6 mos old - I have a pair of lavender calls (Earl Grey and Cappuccino) and a chocolate call hen (Mocha) that were bred in the area. I don't have the breeder's name but I can track it down if anyone is interested (he was at the show in Oxford, MA in June, if that helps...).

My pair of BEI (Apollo and Calliope) are about 1.5 yrs old and were bred by Shaun Streeter here in MA.

ETA: the pic of the calls is from June (~4 mos old) and the pics of the BEIs are from Jan

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Is lavender an accepted color for Calls? They are absolutely beautiful.
    If I lived closer, I'd sure like to have them!

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I'm no expert - I'm very new to Calls, got my first one in March of this year (and now I have 8 of them! [​IMG]) - but I wouldn't call those Lavenders SQ...is Lavender even a recognized (show-able) variety? [​IMG]

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I think your call's bills are too long and the body is to slinder JMO.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I agree.

I'd remove the SQ from your listing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  6. Gypsylion

Gypsylion Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Bummer... they were sold to me by a breeder as SQ (something along the lines of "yeah, you definitely could have entered them in this show and they'd have done all right"). Remove the "SQ" for just the lavenders, or the chocolate also?

There are more pics on the sale page, esp of the lavs.

Thanks!

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I really can't see the chocolate well enough to tell much about her. The others are pet quality only I would say. Their bills are much too long and their bodies are not nearly round enough.

8. Gypsylion

Gypsylion Songster

Apr 30, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Quote:Really?? Not even breeder quality? Argh. I love them anyway, of course, and they're still gorgeous, but that's definitely frustrating to hear.

Does it matter that the pics were taken at 4 mos old? I'm not familiar enough with duck development to know if they fill out more as they hit maturity, but it seems like they have rounded out a bit in the past month or so.

I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow too...

Again, thanks for the input.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Really?? Not even breeder quality? Argh. I love them anyway, of course, and they're still gorgeous, but that's definitely frustrating to hear.

Does it matter that the pics were taken at 4 mos old? I'm not familiar enough with duck development to know if they fill out more as they hit maturity, but it seems like they have rounded out a bit in the past month or so.

I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow too...

Again, thanks for the input.

I wouldn't sell them as any more than pet quality. To be breeder quality they have to have the potential to produce good quality offspring with show potential and the odds are not good for those. No, they're really not going to fill out anymore as they mature. They should be round from the beginning.

Go check out Foley's waterfowl.....they have great calls.

I'm sorry the seller was not honest with you about their quality.

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    the good thing about the chocolate is that her bill is much shorter which is a start but you really can't tell much else from the pic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: