Squatting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeptrick, Aug 27, 2007.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG] What exactly does one mean when they describe the squatting behavior prior to laying?
    Mine are like sitting down on their legs just hanging out...almost like they are sitting on a nest? Is this what people call squatting? Or are they just chillin!!
    Or is squatting like when they go to the bathroom?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think usually, the squatting behavior that is described is the squatting that they do to allow the rooster to mate with them. That is a sign of maturity and that means they are going to lay soon or have just started to lay. The position is front down, tail up, wings out.

3. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ahh...ok! Mine do not seem to be mating? I've watched them for hours and hours...and I'm sure I've not seen any mating. Are they just being sneaky?
    Hmmmm...no crowing...no mating...do I have all pullets? I've got to have at least one BOY!!
    24 - 19 1/2 week old EE's!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  4. silkiechicken

EE's that old and no crowing... you might have all girls!!

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    My hens go that for me also. We dont have a rooster. Coorect me if Im wrong, but I think if they do that for you it represents that you are the alpha chicken.

6. silkiechicken

I think it means you are alpha roo. They wont do that for other hens... at least mine don't. They do it for me though.

7. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    That is too funny if I do have all girls! My husband will crack up...we've got 3 dd!! He'll truly be outnumbered NOW!
    We never wanted boys...all girls...husband and me both! WE got what we wished for.
    I ordered from McMurray's...24 sexed female EE's/Falsely advertised as Ameraucana's! I was for sure I'd get at least one boy!
    [​IMG]

8. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    My poor dh was outnumbered before we had children though! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by