Squatting?

cheeptrick

Songster
12 Years
May 1, 2007
New Hampshire
hu.gif
What exactly does one mean when they describe the squatting behavior prior to laying?
Mine are like sitting down on their legs just hanging out...almost like they are sitting on a nest? Is this what people call squatting? Or are they just chillin!!
Or is squatting like when they go to the bathroom?

I think usually, the squatting behavior that is described is the squatting that they do to allow the rooster to mate with them. That is a sign of maturity and that means they are going to lay soon or have just started to lay. The position is front down, tail up, wings out.

Ahh...ok! Mine do not seem to be mating? I've watched them for hours and hours...and I'm sure I've not seen any mating. Are they just being sneaky?
Hmmmm...no crowing...no mating...do I have all pullets? I've got to have at least one BOY!!
24 - 19 1/2 week old EE's!

Last edited:
My hens go that for me also. We dont have a rooster. Coorect me if Im wrong, but I think if they do that for you it represents that you are the alpha chicken.

That is too funny if I do have all girls! My husband will crack up...we've got 3 dd!! He'll truly be outnumbered NOW!
We never wanted boys...all girls...husband and me both! WE got what we wished for.
I ordered from McMurray's...24 sexed female EE's/Falsely advertised as Ameraucana's! I was for sure I'd get at least one boy!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom