Squatting

Those hussies are trying to seduce you;)

Females who are laying eggs or about to start laying often squat in anticipation of mating by a rooster, but will squat in response to a person advancing towards them, or waving a hand over them in just the right way. Some squat more readily than others. In my experience, they do this more when they are just starting to lay. At this time they are most docile, and many are easily picked up.

It's a sign of submission: you are their rooster!

It also often means they are close to laying, if they haven't already.

I think it's adorable. Do any of yours stamp their feet at the same time, in the squat?

I give mine a little skritch on the back of the neck, then at the beginning of tail feathers, followed by a soft pat to the back. "Good girl!"

Last edited:
No foot stamping but they are very tame, follow me everywhere I cant work in the garden when they are out cause they step right where I'm trying to dig, plant, weed, whatever, a worm could appear at any time! The ones that squat have been laying for a while, looking forward to my Ameracaunas doing the same!

I have one that squats sometimes, even if I just look at her. Cracks me up every time! Even if I'm far away, I'll turn my head and glance at her, and she drops to a squat. I can get her to do it about 3 times in a row, before she stops.

Back
Top Bottom