Squawking, screaming hen won't stop

SunshineGal

Songster
Aug 17, 2018
This is our first time raising hens and we have 3. First post on this forum. Yesterday and early this morning one of them started loudly, and I mean loudly, and started with the screaming. Even going out there doesn't matter. She started making her nest yesterday and it's made very nice this a.m. I contacted the breeder I bought her from but she has no idea why my hen is doing that. None of hers ever have. Does anyone know why? They are Blue Lace Wyandottes and 6 months old. I feed them fruit and veggies every morning, organic layer feed, water, and at night, special chicken treats. I'm beside myself, very concerned something's wrong, and I know my neighbors don't appreciate it and may possibly call the the city. I uploaded a few pics. We got our first egg! Very small. Is that normal? Can we eat it? I'm so lost! Please, someone help me!

Attachments

• 3 girls.jpg
    3 girls.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 104
  • Baby's first egg 12 3 2018.jpg
    Baby's first egg 12 3 2018.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Babys 1st egg in my hand.jpg
    Babys 1st egg in my hand.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Running area.jpg
    Running area.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Baby in her nest 12 2 2018.jpg
    Baby in her nest 12 2 2018.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
It really does sound like she's getting ready to lay! I have had some pretty loud beginner layers. It usually calms down, however, some have remained very loud. Fortunately, when I lived in the city, my neighbors enjoyed all of the chicken fun.
What did you mean by, "she started making her nest"? Do you have nesting boxes? Is she making a "nest" on the floor of the coop? Just curious.
CJ

It really does sound like she's getting ready to lay! I have had some pretty loud beginner layers. It usually calms down, however, some have remained very loud. Fortunately, when I lived in the city, my neighbors enjoyed all of the chicken fun.
What did you mean by, "she started making her nest"? Do you have nesting boxes? Is she making a "nest" on the floor of the coop? Just curious.
CJ
I edited my post and put pictures of her in her nest she made. They have 4 crates in the coop with hay and pine shavings in them. We got our first egg!

Back
Top Bottom