Squeaky noise from young drake - OK, or respiratory issue?

prestoconfuoco

Songster
May 26, 2019
Upstate NY
Hey all,

I have three young drakes in this video - the one in question is my Welsh Harlequin. He was making normal drakey noises yesterday but now whenever he “talks” it comes out squeaky like this. Does this sound normal or is this an indication of a respiratory problem? I know there are three ducks and several noises in the video, but it should be very obvious the difference between the raspy drake noises from the two white ducks and the higher-pitched squeak from the welsh harlequin.

might just be his voice change. How is he otherwise? eating drinking pooping normal well normal for a duck that is.
as far as I know he is, yes. I’ll keep an eye out. What was weird to me is that he seemed to be making normal noises, then when I picked him up and brought him outside for a while he started making that noise (yesterday) and has still been, so I worried I’d somehow hurt him I guess.

Oftentimes when you hear a squeaking/high pitch sound from a bird, it is actually stridor which is a broad term for the sound created when there is an obstruction of the airways; the narrowing creates a higher pitch each time the "thing" breathes, and exhales.
Various things can cause obstruction ranging from swelling due to blunt trauma, inhalation of feed material, or bedding, or less common respiratory diseases.
As long as the drake is not showing difficulty breathing, you could monitor him for the next few days and see if the squeaking stops, which in my experience, it does the majority of the time.
Always make sure the birds have access to head deep water so they can properly clean their eyes, and nares out often. Any environmental pollutants, such as wet bedding, fungus, mold, dusty feed should be eliminated from the environment.

Just for the next day keep an eye on him. How do you think you might have hurt him. They are pretty tough little things unless dropped, stepped on or some other trauma.
I don’t really think I hurt him - I always try to be gentle - I was just afraid I might have. And of course I will be keeping an eye out. I’ll update if anything else happens. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom