*squeals* my first olive egger...how do i continue to produce olive eggs?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
last year i had my first try at producing some olive-eggrs....much to my despair all the hens we hatch from the cross laid blue eggs...one hen never laid.

that is until today..the little late bloomer has started laying...and i just found hr secret nest of beautiful olive green eggs :)) im so happy!

so now i would like to breed from her to produce more olive eggers.....but with what rooster do i need to sit her with? i have no marans rooster anymore...i have plenty of araucana roosters...or i have her brothers......(im guessing thats a bad idea?)

any help would be gratefully received
thank you

So you have a photo of how dark your olive eggs are? If they are really dark olive, then I would breed back to blue. If they are very light or minty then you could breed back to a brown.
I use Marans males x Ameraucana females to get my OE and they are very dark green in the first generation so if I cross back to brown egg layer then I end up with brown or taupe-ish /olive egg layers again lol. I always have to cross my OE back to a blue ameraucana.
It's kind of a balancing act.

last year i had my first try at producing some olive-eggrs....much to my despair all the hens we hatch from the cross laid blue eggs...one hen never laid.

that is until today..the little late bloomer has started laying...and i just found hr secret nest of beautiful olive green eggs :)) im so happy!

so now i would like to breed from her to produce more olive eggers.....but with what rooster do i need to sit her with? i have no marans rooster anymore...i have plenty of araucana roosters...or i have her brothers......(im guessing thats a bad idea?)

any help would be gratefully received
thank you
you need at least a brown egger to produce green eggs, now for Olive eggs? you would need a dark brown egg breed rooster

marans..but he died over the winter and i just cant seem to find another marans in the area

Back
Top Bottom