Squirrel cleaning question

Quote:
Do you par boil them before you fry?

If I had mess of squirrels too big for one meal, I think I would par boil and fry the hind legs and saddles and make squirrels and dumplings or Brunswick stew out of the front ends.

It depends on how much time I have. If I have time, boiling them until tender before frying is the way to go, but if I'm in a hurry I just fry them fresh.
I was raised poor, so eatting a tough critter, whether squirrel, rabbit, coon or whatever is just part of life here.
I never have more than enough for a meal. I only kill what I need. Usually about 4 -5 squirrels or two rabbits is about right for a mess for my family.

MFB, if I paid for the dry ice and overnight shipping, plus whatever it would be worth to the hunter & cleaner, could I talk you into sending a squirrel carcass (fresh and suitable for thawing and cooking) out here to me in California??

I am not joking. Apparently the exotic meats suppliers are not allowed to sell squirrel meat in the USA.

I can be adventurous. I really want to taste squirrel meat.

X2 on wanting to try it. I also want to try moose if anyone's got any!!!
big_smile.png

How does one "hunt" squirrel? Could I get a bb rifle? Do you have to worry about any sort of contamination when you hunt a squirrel?

Squirrel in a sauerbraten sauce - over noodles
droolin.gif
. Once made it for the people at work. The only person who knew what we were eating was a lady from N.C. One person actually got sick when I told them what it was.
idunno.gif
hu.gif

My husband loves squirrel dumplings (same as chicken and dumplings but with squirrel)

I like them roasted on the grill wrapped in foil with butter, peppers and onions
droolin.gif
Keeps them very moist!

This thread has got me wanting to try this. When I get on one of these kicks... it's just a matter of time. Now I'm watching youtube videos.... oh boy.

Do you let the meat rest like you do chickens before you cook them?

We always allowed them to 'age' in a light brine solution for 24 hours, then parboil till tender and then bread and fry.
droolin.gif

They taste like chicken!
lol.png

We put them in zip lock bags and let them rest in the fridge for 1 or 2 days. They are never tough for us.

Just curious, what's the taste of a squirrel? Does it taste like chicken or more like game? The only "unusual" animal I had was frog legs, I remember those tasted more like chicken.

Back
Top Bottom