Squirrels eating chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JoBethWhite, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Suckafish272

Suckafish272 In the Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    SoCal
    Squirrels are ridiculously easy to live trap in Haveahart traps. What you do with them next is up to you.

2. mamm7215

mamm7215 Chirping

Apr 15, 2014
    Surrey, British Columbia
    love this idea! We live in an area that "shooting" the little rodents,(well I should not say little, these eastern grays, an invaciuos species, are huge!) is just not an option. We have had a squirrel problem for years as I have 2 hazel nut trees and one black walnut and never see a nut for the family. The problem is kill one dominant male and the next week you're over run!

3. dorothymcd

dorothymcd Songster

Jul 3, 2013
    The squirls get in threw the roof and are pooping all over the place in my coop including in the food. My chickens never have any scratch or anything good because they take it all. they need to stay out. my run is covered with hardwire cloth they use the roof to get in and out that is a mesh screen or when i let my chickens out in the yard..

4. new2green

new2green In the Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    I was just looking for the same solution. It has been one week we don't get any eggs in my coop with 20 chickens!! So today I am looking to see if I find where they decided to nest outside and atop the shed i can see many eggshells. So whatever it's stealing my eggs is taking them to the roof of the shed and eating them there.
    We have lots of squirrels around and I didn't notice any missing chickens, so I don't think it's a racoon,
    Any suggestions?

5. hudginsx4

hudginsx4 Hatching

Jun 22, 2016
    I loose 9 eggs a day to squirrells. I have also lost chickens to raccoons in the evenings. They literally climb over the enclosure and haul the chickens out the same way. Ground squirrels are my nemisis

6. CalMiniFlock

CalMiniFlock In the Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    I also have a large squirrel problem, they dig under the coop, slide between the two sheets of hardware cloth on the walls, (which are now closed up) get through a small opening on the roof. They eat the eggs, the feed and drink my girl's water. I have barricaded the ground around the coop with rocks, boards and flower pots and it's only a matter of time. I have placed squirrel poison out side of the back yard in bait stations but it hasn't made much of difference. They multiply often. It's driving me nuts! I can't be away from the house long because the nasty critters eat all of their food. I wish I had a solution for all of us!

7. Winstarr Chicks

Winstarr Chicks In the Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    I have many squirrels who enjoy eating my chicken feed (and eggs) but the biggest problem is them getting in the bottom tray of my hanging feeder and spilling the feed out on the ground. I have looked all over for a squirrel proof feeder but the only one I can find which is called "Grandpa's Feeder" but the chickens have to be trained to open the lid in order to feed. Also the cost for the large feeder is around $150.00 (plus shipping). I don't like shooting the squirrels but I am starting to do so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: