Squirrels

NewBostonChick

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
New Boston, NH
The darn squirrels are getting in my coop daily. They have chewed the wood enough to get into my grain bin and although it appears they are not eating the chicken feed, they have eaten scratch and sunflower seeds. I now keep the seeds in the house. My question is do squirrels eat eggs? I am finding less eggs these days and saw remnants of egg contents in the pine shavings in nesting box today. 3 squirrels exited my coop.. How do i get rid of them? Thanks...

It may be the year of the dog, but it sure seems like the year of the rat. Tree rats, striped rats, various tunneling rats - and as you know it's squirrel-nado in the northeast. Best thing is to start eliminating them. Shoot, trap and kill, and hope they don't get in your house.

Could trap and rehome in different area. I haven’t had them in my coop but had them in my attic and rehoming worked. Had to seal where they get in with bolted down metal.

Trap and relocate before winter? That’s cruel cause they spend all summer foraging and hiding their winter stores. Shoot the darn things. I have had a field day shooting chipmunks. They got in the coops and in the food. They left poo behind and the chickens ate it and got bacterial enteritis. Lost several juveniles to it so there is no mercy on my farm. Damn dirty things.

Back
Top Bottom