Squishy buldge-no eggs since 10/5/2012

cfremder

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
On 10/4/2012-Virgil was attacked by my dog. He ripped out a number of her rear feathers. The next day she layed her egg and seemed back to normal. She has been acting fine and eating. Today, when I checked her to see if she was eggbound, I noticed this bare spot on her underside that is very squishy. Help-what do I do? She is only about 11 months old.

I would call a veterinarian. I'm doubtful with something internal like that that a simple remedy would be the full solution. It could just be fluid build up from an injury, but you never know until a vet checks. It could be something worse. Good luck!

Not sure that a vet is an option-so I would welcome other suggestions PLEASE

Its hard to tell from the picture.......is it a pendulous crop or is it her lower abdomen? What are her stools like? I think she's been working on this for awhile, and you just didn't see it. When their skin gets stretched from being enlarged, they lose their feathers there.

I would first determine if its her crop or abdomen. I'm thinking its her crop. the treatment would be different.

Sorry=stools seem to be normal according the the stool chart. She appears normal and behaves normal, except for no eggs. She roosts normal and if I wouldn't have noticed a few feathers today, I wouldn't have double checked to make sure she wasn't egg bound. The squishy spot is on her right side. Rubbing it seemed to help. She is not in pain.

Just wanted to give you all an update on Virgil. The squishy part on her abdomen drained on it's own. She was picked on for a bit by the others, but seemed to recover fully on her own. It took two months, but the last two days, she produced two eggs. The first one had a bit of extra calcification on it, but one today is almost normal. I'm so excited!

We are now at 4 days in a row with full production - thank you for all of the information on this site. It helped me safe Virgil. Chickens really are amazing and hardy creatures.

Back
Top Bottom