Squishy crop, sour crop?

Yep. I’m actually working with a bird that has it now that’s about the same age and she has almost recovered. I sadly couldn’t that very medication so I used coconut oil.

Yep. I’m actually working with a bird that has it now that’s about the same age and she has almost recovered. I sadly couldn’t that very medication so I used coconut oil.
So this is your first time?

Please update! ❤️

I would be interested if it helps. I am sure I would have to deal with pendulous crop someday. Some of my birds are getting real old, as they were some of my orginal birds.

I would not feed her normally. She is clearly unwell if she is seperating herself. I know that you already fed her though.

In the future, I would wet her food with water. Its easy but makes a whole lot of difference. My hen had sour crop, so I know what it is like.

Pendulous crop is much more common in old birds and I doubt a nine week old would have it.

How is her poop? Please get pictures of her and her poop. Being so young, I would suspect coccidiosis.
Her poop had hay in it, I just checked and i think it may have caused a blockage yesterday but considering her crop was empty today i doubt its blocked anymore but the infection is still there

My pullet smore had a squishy crop today, I was wondering if this always ment it was sour crop. This could be a one day thing, but I will check it in the morning before I feed them. Shes my favorite chicken so I hope shes ok.

This morning it is still squishy/soft but its empty. It is a little floppy though like it is stretched out.

I just did some research and found something called pendulous crop. Could this be it and If so what should I do

Shes keeping her distance from everyone, but shes never had an issue before with her crop, shes only 9 weeks old
@Emma_Bruffy
Can you please post some photos of your pullet and her poop?
Is she the only 9 week old you have? How are the others acting?
What are you feeding?
Does she have access to grit?

9 weeks is terribly young to have a pendulous crop.
Please check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink - this is the best way to determine crop function.

Let us know what the crop feels like in the morning.

After you have felt the crop, Giving coconut oil won't hurt her. I would provide her with water and some wet mushy feed.

Please read this article and the comments that go along with it. There's a lot of information there for you.
I would not jump to the crop being pendulous in a 9 wk old unless she was being kept from food/water by older birds and was eating bedding or something. In a 9wk old I might consider that something else is going on to slow the crop. Possibly Coccidiosis. Look forward to your update along with the photos.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Your thread is here. It looks like Carol is giving you good suggestions. I hope your pullet survives.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/starving-chicken-with-sour-crop.1498330/

She has eaten grain early this morning and passed it but the crop was still squishy. For dinner we gave her scrambled eggs and unflavored Greek yogurt with live cultures. I also put a bit of apple cider vinegar in her water. I will update in the morning

She has eaten grain early this morning and passed it but the crop was still squishy. For dinner we gave her scrambled eggs and unflavored Greek yogurt with live cultures. I also put a bit of apple cider vinegar in her water. I will update in the morning
I would NOT feed her anything other than her normal food. Hopefully she doesn't only eat grain?

I really hope it isnt coccidiosis, that's the last thing I need to hear especially since shes my favorite. But anyways her poop is normal ither than a few peice of hay in it

This is definitely the problem. Chickens can NOT only eat grain and "snacks"

They definitely need a balanced diet. I recommend Purina Flock raiser with at least 18% protein.
Oh you thought by grain I just ment mixed grains, no I feed chicken feed I just call it grain

Back
Top Bottom