Ssomething is eating my chicken eggs and today pooped on the edge of the nesting box!

amiejo

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
something is eating my chicken eggs and today whatever it is pooped on the edge of the nesting box! It would've had to crawl up the ladder into the house and then eat the eggs and poop. Couldn't be the dog to poop is really big though. Picture;

That is just CRAZY!
ep.gif
So this something could have eaten the chickens too but didn't? Are you sure it's not a dog? I've seen a lot of dog poop in my day...It looks too big for raccoon. What predators are in your area? I'm so curious what would do that! Like adding insult to injury.

The opening to the house is too small for anything other than a small size dog. There aren't any dogs around here other than mine. It happened in the morning time probably around nine or 10. We have coyotes possums raccoons around here but they aren't out in the day. I'm puzzled.

Last edited:
The opening to the house is too small for anything other than a small size dog. There aren't any dogs around here other than mine. It happened in the morning time probably around nine or 10. We have coyotes possums raccoons around here but they aren't out in the day. I'm puzzled.
So whatever ate the eggs could have eaten the chickens? It was inside the coop? I'm stumped. Can you set a humane trap with some canned cat food? Raccoon or opossum or your dog?

It seems like it would be big enough of an animal to eat the chickens. The chickens are out in the bigger run throughout the day coming and going. It's weird, been happening every few days when our dogs aren't out and I don't get the eggs by 10:00 am. Any ideas for a trap?

Wow! That's creepy. Knowing that thing (whatever it was) was that close to your chickens. My guess is coon, but opossum is also a possibility. Keep in mind that animals like coyote, raccoon and opossum can come out in the day, especially if they are sick, or need food (trying to provide for little ones). And, from what I have read, coyotes can fit any place a cat can fit so they could technically get in your door. Do you have access to a trail cam? Knowing what you are up against might make dealing with it a little easier.

Back
Top Bottom