SSS or call the cops?

chickortreat thats the rule but im not sure if its city or state. Thankfully i havent had any predators in my area except the occasional coyote but they are never able to do anything.

We have a similar situation brewing here. Idiot neighbors on the corner diagonally across from us have a very large, unneutered pit bull that they insist is friendly yet don't have a fence and they take out on a leash while holding their newborn in the other hand. *eye roll* Obviously, the dog has gotten loose from them repeatedly and has charged me in my own driveway. Unfortunately, my mailbox is on their next-door-neighbor's property so the dog considers me a trespasser and I've taken to wearing a sidearm when I get my mail or do projects in my driveway. Bonus points: the bus stop for the local elementary is on the far side of the dog's home, so kids walk through his yard all the time en route to their homes.

Its just a matter of time before it charges one of those kids or me in my own driveway, this whole nightmare is done.

That makes me mad that the owners, who knew the dog bites and has bitten other people, didn't do a thing to prevent it from happening again. They should have fixed their fence and made it stronger and taller. It's their fault that they don't have the dog anymore and it serves them right. They did a big injustice to everyone else plus the dog itself.

FWIW, a .22 is a stupid round for a large dog. Unless it sits still long enough for a shot through the base of the skull, you're just going to make it mad. .38 or 9mm jhp will get the job done, but .45 or .357 are probably better. Pistol rounds are shorter-ranged, too, and it's easier to carry a pistol while you're working outside in the yard.

I am in the zero tolerance camp. When very young, I was set on by a dog that mauled my face badly. It tried to rip my throat out, but the winter clothing and my arm knocked it aside on the charging leap. It was a smallish dog, running with a pack, and the court said I was the tenth person it was known to have bitten. I have had my own pet dogs for many years; my mother did teach me well - that there are crazy animals just like there are crazy people. I have had to put down one dog for starting crazy/vicious (cataracts + neighbors kids torturing it). I just want you to know to never back off with this situation; if someone else had stuck to it, I would've been saved a lot of pain and surgeries and grief.

PS. Thank you Dr. Sharpe of Ohio.

Quote:
Agreed, but a .22 in hand is better than a .45 in the safe, when the time comes. FWIW, .40 is my favorite round over-all. More stopping power than a 9mm, but less blast/recoil than a .45. Actually, guns are like tools to me.........no one gun fits every situation. For concealed carry, Glock 26 (9mm). For checking bumps in the night, Glock 22 (.40 S&W) with Crimson Trace laser grip. For walking out and about, Ruger Single Six during warm weather, with two rat shot, followed by hollow points. And for walking about when cold (deer season), Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. Oh well, I need another one or two.....

Quote:
Good problem solved, The very next time it is on your property kill it with the shot gun. Once it has bit you it will be less afraid next time.

Back
Top Bottom