SSS or call the cops?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Robo, Jan 10, 2011.

  1. Robo

    Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 15, 2010
    Well, today I was playing around with a sled and was attacked by a pit bull!!! The owners rushed over and told me that I need to leave him alone because he will be taken away from them, what really makes me mad is that after I said if the dog is on my property I am well within my rights to shoot it, then they said that I would be arrested for animal cruelty!!! Should I SSS next time I see it crossing my property or call the cops since it bit me? I have seen it in my yard before, and I am tired of it.It actually bit me, but I am not hurt thanks to 4 layers of clothes and a carrhart. AND there is a stray cat they are feeding that is trying to kill my birds. What do you think I should do?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. theoldchick

    theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

    May 11, 2010
    Call animal control and report the dog bit you. You were lucky this time. Next time you might not be wearing as many clothes. And apparently the dog has done this before since the owners already know dog will be taken away from them. I don't care what breed the dog is. Pit bull or not the owners have no control over this animal, and the dog needs to be placed where it is safe. I absolutely despise being attacked on my own property by an out of control dog. Just my two cents worth.
  3. bobbi-j

    bobbi-j True BYC Addict

    Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Report it. It would have been best to report it right away. I agree - it doesn't matter what breed the dog is. And next time, it could be a child that gets bitten.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  4. mississippifarmboy

    mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

    Agreed, report the bite as soon as possible.

    Makes me glad I live in the country!
  5. redhen

    redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

    May 19, 2008
    Western MA need to make a paper trail. Report it ASAP.
  6. mrsengeseth

    mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

    whether or not you have any bites on you right now, I'd call the police and make a report. next time it could be much worse.

    I am assuming that if the attack was bad enough and skin was punctured you'd have seen a doctor about it.

    If you haven't been seen, I'd go and get it done, especially if you have broken skin. Don't give a care to the people telling you anything. You do what's good for your health.

    That's what I'd do.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  7. cheri222

    cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    Would a child or elderly person have been as lucky as you, not to be injured. I would take the legal route and call the cops. Sounds like it wasn't their first time.
  8. janjan1

    janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    I agree, call the cops and make a report. That way, when you do happen to protect yourself & others in the future, you have a paper trail behind you.
  9. mrsengeseth

    mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

    if it punctured or tore your outer layer of clothing show that to the police as well
  10. Ariel301

    Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I'm normally the type to give a dog every chance, but if its owners are unable to control it, and it is coming onto other people's property and need to report this dog. I'd say they have had warnings before or this dog has been a problem in the past, by the owner's reaction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by