1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

St. John's Wort

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MoodyChicken, Feb 19, 2009.

1. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quote: Even the vaccine's makers will tell you it's not 100%, in fact it's often far from it; some vaccines are closer to 10%. That opinion is straight from more than a few agricultural vets. In my experience with chickens the vaccinated ones are sub-par as a matter of course and are always the weakest. I swear by non vaccinating, though I'm not going to ply the emotional angle to get those who swear by vaccinating to do it my way. If you care at all about your birds, you will find what works. That's as far as I'd take that statement, no matter what my opinions are as opposed to other's opinions. Doubtless, I think, there must be a chicken out there whose life was saved by a vaccination, and another whose life was saved by homeopathy, and another whose life was saved by colloidal silver, and another whose life was saved by garlic or other herbs, and another whose life was saved by an orange falling off the tree at the right time, and so forth. Diseases are so variable and so are their victims, it's really not something anyone can guarantee 100% in any direction.

Off topic, recently both my family's pets (staffy mix dog and ragdoll mix cat) came to the point of death with a severe wasting disease that attacked the neurological system. Silver cured them when all else failed. I myself use garlic and assorted natural remedies because they've proven their worth to me over and over and over again. When I was younger as well as recently several very different alternative therapies have saved my life from several very different and unrelated normally fatal problems. Medical science has no cure for two of these issues. It pays to keep an open mind because the drug sellers aren't focused on cure as it's time consuming as opposed to merely culling and replacing. Economics... Therefore science in the matter of health is limited by lack of major industry support in many crucial areas.

2. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    MAREK'S IS CAUSED BY A VIRUS, SO ANYTHING THAT WOULD REALLY WORK OTHER THAN KEEPING THEM EATING AND EXERCISING TO PREVENT CONTRACTURES OF THE LIMBS , WOULD NEED TO BE AN ANTIVIRAL DRUG. I HAVE ALWAYS WANDERED IF SOMETHING PRESCRIPTION LIKE FOR HUMAN HERPES WHICH IS CAUSED BY A VIRUS WOULD WORK ON CHICKENS, THE ONES I HAVE HAD TO HAVE IT AND LIVE, IT WAS A 2-3 MONTH DRAWN OUT CASE AND ONLY THE EXERCISE AND KEEPING THEM EATING WORKED, I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT ASKING FOR A RX FOR A HUMAN ANTIVIRAL TABLET AND CRUSHING AND DILUTING IT AND GIVING IT AS DROPS SEVERAL TIMES A DAY TO SEE IF THIS WOULD WORK,

3. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quote: Antiviral drugs are both developed from natural sources in many cases, and found in nature in functional form. It didn't have to go through a lab and end up in a pill or fluid to become active. Often all they do in the labs is isolate it and/or alter it, which can make it dangerous, as in natural form it is usually found in the company of the enzymes/vitamins/minerals needed to correctly process it.

(Almost always, but not always; barring the cases of (for example) digitalis/foxglove which should be used homeopathically or not at all because of how dangerous it is in natural form. The pharmaceutical form has doubtless saved lives but is rampant with side effects that can outweigh the positives, as are the majority of man made drugs).

Garlic is an antivirus. So is rosemary and oregano, sage, and silver. Electricity is another antivirus. The term 'antivirus' is a huge area with many grey or overlapping fields. It's anything that works 'anti' to a virus... It's not something that can be attributed to the advent of pharmaceuticals. They do not have a miracle factory running despite the propaganda otherwise.

4. veecee

veecee New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    hello, ok, so we're following your directions, just been to the natural remedy shop, but theres a lot of different strengths. We have got the homeopathic drops. 30 mls net in the bottle and it says to give adults and children 5 drops 4 times daily. Wonder if we should dilute it in the water or not. - it says in water/ethanol - brand is weleda (made in new zealand - i'm in new zealand) thanks

5. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    While I'm certainly not an expert or overly convinced of the efficacy of some brands of homeopathics, I have seen it work on animals and humans including myself. (Bufo Marinus poisoning).

If the dose labelled is so high for children, you could safely add it to the chook's water in all likelihood, estimating probably about six adult chooks to equal about a five year old kid, or something like that. It won't kill them at least, so I wouldn't worry too much about exact dosages, but less is more since it works through frequency rather than mass available for digestion. You could administer it orally to them, but that could be a lot of hassle. It's one reason I make sure my chooks are tame, you never know when you have to give medicine or whatever and their calm compliance can make the difference between them living and dying.

With homeopathy when the right solution is selected and given, sometimes the symptoms worsen temporarily, so bear that in mind if you didn't already know.

All the best.

6. christophers

christophers New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Just wanted to say that we have two hens ill w mareks, started to treat w hypericum yesterday and have seen great improvement. One of the hens just fell ill today and within minutes she seemed herself, ate and drank well and was very social w me. The other has been sick about a week but is moving around better and seems interested in food and water and socialization again! So very very happy....thank you for this great forum we really appreciate all the advice

7. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Sure hope it works for you... If you can, please do a follow-up post in six months.

-kathy

8. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    That's great to hear, and please do let us know sometime in future how they go. Hypericum is used for many things both internally and externally, it's reputed to be one of those multiple-facet herbs.

9. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Is it ok to give baby aspirin too if we are treating with the hypericum?

10. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Why would you need to give an aspirin? I notice a lot of folks give an aspirin seemingly no matter what the issue is, but I can't really think of a reason why, so it must be time I started asking. ;)

Hypericum interferes with some other medications. I don't know what it'd do to aspirin, but I do know aspirin can cause agranulocytosis, or death/absence of leucocytes/white blood cells. Generally this only happens with overdose though.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by