St. John's Wort

Pics
I think I have a 12 week old chick with MD. I have a thread started on it. I'm willing to try anything that I can get, but was just wondering if anyone has had success with this method? There's no way for me to read this entire post. :)

Yes. It is definitely worth trying. We had a pullet make a full recovery from a neuro condition, I have no idea what it was, if it was Marek's or an injury or what. She started out limping and gradually got worse til she could not even stand. I treated her with Hypericum over a period of about two weeks as I remember. She went on to live for another two years. She died this past spring but it was from Capillary worms, not the neuro thing It just depends on what your bird's issue is, but lots of people have had good results with Hypericum. You do have to follow the instructions for use carefully.

Ok, I'll certainly try it if I can find it. So far, I can't find it where I live, only the capsules at walmart that is listed as St.John's Wort.

Ok, I'll certainly try it if I can find it. So far, I can't find it where I live, only the capsules at walmart that is listed as St.John's Wort.

They sell it at health food stores or vitamin shops. You can call around and get the best price, but it's not expensive. Comes in a little tube and the tablets are tiny. Just remember you have to dissolve them in distilled water...see the directions from the OP who started this thread, the first couple of posts. But I think it has to be Hypericum. Even though it's SJW, the SJW caps are not the same thing. For our pullet, it was a miraculous recovery for her, it truly was. Fortunately, we've only had the one experience.

Quote: But like you said in your other post, you don't know what it was, so you can't really say that the hypericum had anything to do with recovery, right? It can't hurt to try, but one should also try to rule out *all* other things that can cause paralysis.

-Kathy

But like you said in your other post, you don't know what it was, so you can't really say that the hypericum had anything to do with recovery, right? It can't hurt to try, but one should also try to rule out *all* other things that can cause paralysis.

-Kathy

Bolded for emphasis. I am not knocking on the SJW, but there are a lot of things that can cause paralysis or neurological issues, and some are treatable. It's worth considering these first, in my opinion- worst case scenario, you can rule them out and move on to the SJW if there are no other viable treatments. Best case scenario, it is something that is more easily treated and you get a more effective treatment and a healthy bird, faster!

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll have see what other things it could be and find out how to treat. I've checked all of the health food stores and no one has this. TSC is even out of rooster booster which has also been recommended. Paralysis of both legs is the only symptom this chick has.

I am positive the Hypericum had a great deal to do with it. I have researched it a lot and many people have had positive results with it. You can order Hypericum on line. I didn't think it was expensive at all, it's like $8.00 for a little tiny tube but it has a lot of pills in it, and I still have a lot left over.

Is this the right stuff. I have tried the St. John Wort Capsules that looks like ground herbs with distilled water and it doesn't appear to be helping.
Two on my best Roo's has paralysis on the left side. The entire flock has been wormed and treated with Corid after losing 4 of my best pullets with similar symptoms. So now my best Cream Legbar and Araucana Roo's (hatched in April) can hardly stand but still has a good appetite. What I have read on this thread is giving a little hope.

l_bi-1055.png

Last edited:
I took out a bowl of the remedy and a teaspoon expecting to give our chicken Phoenix drops off the end of the spoon, she drank up the remedy herself, so it was a little hard to determine how much she consumed.

Back
Top Bottom