Staggerd hatch under broody, HELP!

cowgirlup11

Chirping
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan Canada
my broody duck is currently sitting on 11 eggs and is STILL laying?!?! I candled her eggs today and there is one that is likely day 10+, 3 that look like maybe around day 7ish, one maybe around day 4ish and then two or three others that looks like maybe say 2 or 3 (or maybe quitters I can't quite tell yet). What should I do?

Your broody is not laying. Do others have access to her nest? Broodies are notorious for stealing any egg that is laid in their vicinity.
Staggered hatches are tough. She might stay on the nest long enough to get the 7-10 day eggs. Might. They usually wait a day or two to make sure they are done hatching. Then she has to get off the nest to feed her babies that hatched.
You have a few options.
1: leave all the eggs and see what happens.
2: set up an incubator for the eggs she leaves behind. You will have to also have a brooder set up for those ducklings and you will most likely have to raise them yourself if the broody will not accept them.
3: take out the eggs now that are far behind and toss them so the hatch is not staggered quite so much.
Whatever you decide, Mark the eggs you leave in the nest with a sharpie and remove new eggs daily.
Good luck and let us know what happens!

They are her eggs, she is the only female I have. I have the incubator running right now with some chicken eggs In it. I don't know anything about hatchig Duck eggs but if I decide to try, What are my chances of her adopting them back? I just HATE brooding ducklings...:/

Is there any chance you have chicken eggs in there?
Regardless, I'd still mark the eggs you Leave with her.
I only have adoption experience with my Turkey hen. She was very happy to adopt her staggered hatch back up to 5-6 days later. I know some will not.
Also, with ducks don't you have to be careful about imprinting? I hope some duck people chime in here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom