Standard bred Sumatras

gig.gif
too funny!

Whoa wait a second! You have to show soon! My birds are not at all where I feel they should be either but my husband has talked me into taking some birds this fall. Hopefully Infnityhrt and FMP won't kill my birds too bad at the show.

I do think, and this is my opinion the hens have a lot to do with the comb issue too even if you can't see one. If anyone is like me as long as its almost nonexistent than I am okay with it. I have culled for strange tiny spikes but for the most part I don't let it bother me. I think I will have an extremely hard time getting a pea comb if the females are not looked at too. Well anyways on to another subject.

Last edited:
My copy of the SOP doesn't have images for the Sumatra.....

Anybody have them to post in this thread for reference?

I cant remember if they were in the other Sumatra thread,
either, to look them up.

I did find the ones drawn by Katherine Plumer - are they what is
in the newest SOP?

Yes the blue LF ones are drawn by Katherine Plumer are the newest ones in the standard. I think one of the black LF picture was posted in the other thread. If I can I will try and load the pictures unless someone beats me to it.

I too have been out looking at my birds combs. The easier ones to catch got caught and I took some pictures of the comb (or at least I tried to
lau.gif
) I'll post them later, so we can discuss the combs some more.

Nice to see you still around!

This is one of the things that gets me but not madre. We had some birds from McMurray last year that had actual 3 ridged pea combs but they had single spurs so they had to go. I have gotten into arguments with people about this, seems like a majority of breeders always basically say "Well they all have the weird combs so they aren't meant to have a normal pea comb" kind of thing. I say that since we are supposed to bred to the standard, that people start breeding for the pea comb as the standard says. If they were meant to have the weird blob comb, the standard would say so.
um, it still bothers me and it wasn't just the single spur that made him go, I liked him when he was young but as he got older he wasn't balanced, to me, the bird has to be balanced and flow smoothly, I don't tknow how to discribe it, his rear end did not fit his front end, and with the single spur issue... he's a gonner, maybe sometime we'll try again, if the pullet had weighed more than 2lbs I would of kept her.

Glad to see we have found this site, going to be fun discussing birds, just not on as much till about November :) Not as good as the son with the stupid "Smart" phone
barnie.gif

Anyone ever see the horse magazine that had where they would post three different horses and then you have to judge them? Thinking of an idea that I might try as I get the time where I post three different birds, body, head and feet and then everyone can say how they would place the class and why... but no right or wrong placings, just good discussions. Sound like a good plan?

Back
Top Bottom