Standard bred Sumatras

I think its dead right now because its getting to the busy time of year. The show season approaches!

In all honestly, the combs pictured are not really a good representation of an ideal pea comb. Though I think there is definitely potential using that male. Obviously there is room for improvement, but if you overlook the curve at the front, its the best one of the group. the two black hens do not have a pea combs at all. I hate sounding negative, which I why I don't like critiquing pictures and on the web.
hide.gif
Pea combs are challenging and I find it even more so in sumatras due to fact it gets overlooked a lot. Even I need LOTS of work on mine.
Yes it is! I have spent the last month getting stuff ready for the fair, I am superintendent for the kids and open show so its been very busy. I am sitting at the fair with my first time in along time to get a chance to comment. Hopefully will have more time soon. Pretty soon there will be that awful white stuff on the ground and time to get on more :). Hope everyone has a good fall, things are starting off great for us and have a few good looking ones as well as hoping to start culling hard in the next couple of weeks so, will be able to post some bad and very bad pics soon, as well as hopefully some really nice ones, going to cut way back this year as well.

I wouldn't want Ramirez to feel left out...doesn't look like a have anything even resembling a pea comb :(

Critique away...I promise not to cry :lol:

Ps...I'm a horrible photographer ( too far, too dark, chicken turned the wrong direction Uhg!)

Black rooster (kind of has 3 rows of mush if you zoom in)

Black hen. ( no idea what you would call this )

Khaki pullet. ( pretty much non existent)

I'm going to shows the next two weekends.... Hopefully there will be some Sumatras there!

We need to find some Sumatra judges that have nothing better to do than critique my less than perfect birds....or better yet, post good birds and explain how we all can get there:D I keep running through google images of Sumatras and even though I'm no expert...I'm pretty sure that a couple of people on this thread probably have some of the best Sumatras out there. I just wish I knew more so that I could intelligently contribute to this thread! Sorry guys! For now, I'll just have to keep on leeching off of all your experiences. Thank you for all you do for this beautiful breed!

Rochester Poultry Association (Rochester NY) show was yesterday.

GC AOSB - Black Sumatra Hen owned by Mark Bierbower (Kane, PA)
RGC AOSB - Black Sumatra Cock owned by Amelia Sprague (Falconer, NY) -- MY DD!!! I've posted his pics somewhere in the back.

There were approximately 50 different birds in this class of Large Fowl.

Only 6 Sumatras though - 2 black hens, 1 blue hen. 3 Black Cocks.

Mark is the breeder who sold Amelia the 2 hens and the rooster that I posted on here in earlier threads. He is also going to work with us because in 2 years we have not successfully hatched any sumatras from the trio we bought.

Amelia also came home with a pair of blue sumatras. Both were born in June of this year. I will try to get pictures and post for input.

There were no bantam Sumatras at all. DD is now expressing interest in getting some........I think she's more hooked on chickens than I am if its possible.

Back
Top Bottom